21

SURPRISE!

CHAPTER 21

By the time mid-terms ended, I wanted whatever happened with Drake to be over. We hadn't talked since our last argument, maybe because I had kind of switched ways once or twice to avoid him. I missed him.

"Finally! We're done with this shit! Over! Over! Over!" Nate shouted -delighted- as he jogged down the corridor towards Ava and I, who were standing near her locker.

"The year has not ended yet. You know that, right?" Dylan informed in a cool voice, walking casually behind a previously jogging Nate.

"Stop ruining the mood, Lany."

"Don't call me Lany."

"He's right. These were just the mid-terms. We have some tests and final exams before we are actually done with all this." Ava said to Nate, making him turn towards her and put his hands on her shoulders.

"My sweet, sweet, and utterly nerdy Ava, we know you need to be right all the time, but let me enjoy this." He spoke dramatically before pulling her into a hug, not allowing her to speak.

"Let me go, you doofus." Ava said, pushing him away gently, smiling.

"Why don't you both just get together already?" a voice asked, as the final member of our group joined us- Taylor.

"Some questions just don't need to be answered, honeybun." Nate answered, hanging an arm around Ava's shoulders.

"What's with you and name-calling today?" Dylan asked,

"Feeling a little cheesy." He shrugged.

"Not cheesy." Tay and Dylan said together.

"Guys, don't you think it's getting stressful now? We're almost at the end of our senior." I asked, my brain all up in bundles at the thoughts of future prospects.

"Yeah, I have been looking up some good business schools but it is not easy. Like acceptance percentage and expected scores are reaching higher than the skyscrapers in New York." Tay said,

"I have been trying for art schools but now I'm not sure if I'm even good enough for it." Ava added.

"Universities applications are starting soon enough and I am confused between what I like and what would be better as a career option? Why is this so confusing?" Nate scratched his head while I voiced out loud my part,

"And I have no clue what I want to do except that it's either medical or something related to science."

We all stood there and thought about how the next few months were important for us. We had to figure out what to do, apply to university programs, and give related exams- if we haven't already.

"This is giving me a headache, let's do something to celebrate." Nate said, breaking the tension.

"Let's go kayaking this weekend!" I suggested. I had read about it in a magazine a few weeks ago and it seemed enjoyable. "There's this place near the Savy Lake that lets us do it."

"Plus it's Astrid's birthday in a few days too." Taylor added. Oh right, my birthday- that existed too. My birthday brought back memories- more for my parents than for me. After all, I was only about four when that happened. I didn't think about it often and my family never let it affect me much. But still, whenever I was alone in the apartment, or I went back to our old house, I missed him. I missed Asher.

I did not remember what he was like or what we did together, all I had were some pictures of me and my two years younger brother before he died on the same date as the one I was born on.