02

CHAPTER 2

After another tiring week at school, it was finally Friday night!

I had dinner with my parents while listening to their argument over who was going to win the next basketball match before retiring to my bedroom to complete my homework for the weekend and then watch a few episodes of Friends again.

As I watched Phoebe play guitar with her best friend again, I glanced at the dusty guitar settled in the corner of my room.

Getting out of the bed, I picked it up and felt the strings against my fingers as I examined the whole thing. I tried tuning it for a while and in a few minutes, my hands were playing a familiar melody.

My head flooded with memories as I played the same tune again and again. Suddenly feeling suffocated by the silent atmosphere, I placed the guitar back to get a glass of water. I decided to head towards the roof. In the past few years, I had spent a lot of time alone basking in silence which made me kind of uncomfortable with it.

I looked around and almost reached my spot when I saw someone sitting along the edge. He had the same black mob of hair I saw the other day. I moved towards him and said,

"Hey."

He glanced at me before looking down again. It was Drake. He had earphones plugged in and his eyes had a faraway look. I settled down beside him and we silently watched the part of city visible to us.

"What are you doing up here?" I asked, but there was no reply.

"Hiii!" I tried again but in vain.

I tried to remove one of the earphones but his hand stopped me,

"Either shut up or go away."

"You're rude." I remarked but sat there silently.

After a few minutes, my phone beeped with a message.

Mom:
Where are you?

Me:
Terrace. Be back in 2.

"Not that you seem to care, I'm going to head off." I said as I got up and begin to leave. I waited a few seconds for him to say something, but he didn't.

"Why were you up?" Mom asked as I entered,

"Eh, felt like it." I shrugged, making her frown.

"Don't go anywhere without informing, especially past midnight." She said, firmly.

"Okay, mom. Good night."

...

"Wake up." I heard a voice and felt someone nudging me.

"What is it, mom? Let me sleep." I grumbled, covering my head with the pillow.

"Just saying that we're going to be at work all day, and will return late. We have an important meeting today." She informed. Since both my parents' firms were working on the same project, they had been spending time together- working.

"Good luck then, now let me sleep."

Finally getting out of bed after an hour, I poured myself milk and cereals, and decided to call Cole. Call Cole. Huh. Apologies for my lack of humour. Anyway, it had been more than a week since he called.

"Hello?" He spoke, groggily.

"Miss me, sleepyhead?" I asked, crunching on cereals.

"Hey Astrid," He mumbled, making me frown.

"You don't sound happy."

"You woke me up at 10 on a Saturday morning, what else did you expect?"