Chapter 4 ; Witness

KIARAS POV

January 18, 2014

I woke up the the sound of banging. At first I thought it might be coming from the classroom next to us, but that speciman was slower still than the last time I checked.

I was debating to go check it out or not.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

I slowly removed the stacked chairs and the desk without making any sound.

I followed the low, rhythmic sound the teachers lounge down the hall from the classroom.

Not about to stick my head around the corner of the doorway, I used a compact mirror that I found in Sarah's purse.

Mitch Parson, math teacher, or whatever now passed for Mitch Parsons, was thumping on the vending machine.

I once was Parsons do that while living after he paid for some licorice and it got snagged on the wire coils inside.

Why would a flesh-eater attack the machine?

Surely they dont crave candy.

Do the undead retain behavioral traces of their former habits?

The doors that lead to the staircase been barricaded, but I saw the door was open now. Is that how Parsons got on the floor?

Did the door just open, or did Parsons open it?

I was able to barricade a door between me and the teachers lounge.

Parsons didnt seem to hear me. I'm not sure about their aural function.

I checked the barricades on this side of the teachers lounge but can't really check the others.

I walked back to the classroom, and went to lay down in the corner, slowly falling asleep.

THE NEXT DAY

I slowly opened my eyes, the sun was blinding me.

I stink like hell. I need to change.

I've decided to climb to the roof today.

Since I'm on the top floor, I only had to go half a flight up to reach the service entrance. I am purposely avoiding accessing any lower floors, as I have not idea what can be waiting for me.

I also have reinforced my barricades of all top floor doors, I have heard no signs of life from below, but thats a little comfort.

On the roof, I was able to get a view of the city.

Quiet like a Sunday morning.

Debris everywhere.

Smoke in the distance.

At first no signs of life other than a lone Pine Grosbeak calling (thats a bird.).

Then the sound of a car approaching, an SUV with what looked like severl peopls inside, some supplies strapped to the roof.

"HEYYY! OVER HERE!" I've tried to shout and wave at them but couldn't get their attention.

The car turned the corner of the building and I heard it driving away, then accelerate hard.

Then I heard the crash.

I ran to the other side of the building and saw that the SUV was on its side, it had flipped-or they had flipped it-and the passengers were beig pulled from the car and being attacked, eaten, by a crowd of the living dead.

The screams were horrible.

Echoing.

I can't get the images out of my head.