Chapter 1; Kiara

KIARAS POV

January 12 2014.

For the record, my name is Kiara Flett, age 17, senior at Kingsley highschool, in Seattle, Washington.

The school is a three-story building.

These are facts, and I record them because everything else right now is impossible to believe, we need to start with the facts. I have my birding journal here, ink, etc.

"Here" is I've barricaded myself in one of the classroom. Outside there's some sot of infection.

It happened so fast.

I'm hoping that if I record as much as I can, and others are doing the same, we can, I don't know, cure it?

I don't know what IT is.

No one seems to know whats happening.

It feels like the end of the world.

Some of the headlines from the news, before the internet.

SUDDEN ILLNESS FELLS THOUSANDS.

GLOBAL PANDEMIC FREEZES COMMERCE- airport, shipping, border lock down.

TERRORIST LAY CLAIM TO BIO WEAPON- experts deny capability

CDC EMERGENCY SUMMIT- conflicting theories, few answers.

IS IT IN THE AIR- contamination of water, food also questioned.

ATTACKS REPORTED AMONG INFECTED- guard mobilized to secure hospitals.

On January 7, the first signs were the "Breaking news reports" thats people all over the world were getting sick.

According to news reports , major cities have been hit hardest.Military units were mobilized to help, but of course theres not reason why soldiers would be anymore immune to illness than civilians.

Breathing filtration systems have not been helping.

There is no help.

When casualties vastly outweigh medical personnel-when treatments are, so far, ineffective-fear spreads even faster than disease.

At first the reports of "attacks" weren't clearly it wasn't clear that people weren't just killing eachother in a panic of some sort, and the details were,

I mean they had to have been censored or restricted, at least at first when that was still possible.

Estimates of the infection rate kept going higher before the news shut down, and it's difficult to figure by our remaining staff-though here where we might be able to help, more than anywhere else,

people kept coming in rather than bunkering down at home-but it looks like downtown Seattle has a 90% infection rate.

If the rest of the world is affected at anywhere near that...

I don't know that a 90% infection rate is survivable, in terms of overall population.

For the 10%, is it just a matter of time until symptoms manifest?

I have no idea why I've been one of the fortunate ones, or if I'll remain that way.

I sighed, sketching a picture of america, shading places with a red pencil crayon, telling me where the infection hit most.