Chapter 51

Across town; Dylan's apartment;
Claire's POV;

I loved staying at Dylan's apartment. We were secluded; a guard was always on the front desk ensuring that no unwanted guests were going to turn up on the doorstep. The apartment was at the top of the exclusive building, giving an amazing view of the City but the best thing about the apartment was that one; it was entirely sound proofed meaning that you could make as much noise as you wanted safe in the knowledge that we weren't annoying the people on the floor below us and secondly; the apartment had everything that you could ever need; a games room; that housed many things from a custom built pool table to every possible games console that you could want. A cinema room that could easily hold twenty people, each with their own lazily boy chair. A gym where you could work out should you feel the need. An art studio where Carmine could paint and whatever else that he did in there.

Dylan was currently lying in front of the large artificial fire place. H was draped over a large plush chair. Ashley was resting against the chair and I was sprawled out on the large comfortable suede sofa.

All four of us had, had our fill of the Chinese food that we had ordered but clearly not enough that we couldn't continue drinking.

In addition to all the things that this apartment housed it also had a wine room, which was small but still managed to house at least a hundred bottles of alcohol. So Dylan had popped a couple of bottles of expensive red wine for me, H and Ashley and opened a bottle of JD for herself.

We had talked about Carmine and what Dylan was feeling. I knew that she was struggling with his lack of support on her career change. Especially when she had, had his support on everything else in her life for so long. But he had to know that Dylan wouldn't be doing this if she didn't think that she could. Dylan wasn't a stupid girl and she wouldn't have taken this path had she not been sure and secure in her abilities.

There was no talking to her though; she had expressed that she had agreed to marry him and that meant for better or for worse but as Ashley had pointed out that didn't come in to effect until they were actually married but Dylan in her own mind believed that she may as well have taken that vow because she had said yes to his proposal.

"Do any of you-wonder-where words go-when-they're-spoken?" Dylan asked resting her bottle of JD on her stomach.

"What? No!" H laughed lifting her head to look down at our friend. "You know I think that you have been hanging out with Jeff 'way too' much!"

"What do you mean?" Dylan asked defensively.

"Just that, that is the kind of shit that he'd come out with!" I laughed throwing the cigarettes out.

"Oh!" Dylan replied placing the cigarette to her mouth as she unsteadily sat up. "I have been hanging out with him a lot huh?"

"Well yeah but it's understandable given that you are working so closely with him!" I said passing her the lighter. It was ridiculous; three smokers in one apartment and all we could find was one lighter.

"How are things with you two anyway?" H asked.

"They're fine; we're both exactly where we're supposed to be you know...?"

"Ok am I missing something?" Ashley asked looking at Dylan as she passed the lighter to H who accepted it happily.

Dylan explained the past that she shared with Jeff; all of it just came pouring out of her. All the things that she had felt, the way she had all but crumbled when he had ran off. It wasn't hard to see that she was still effected by what had happened.

For as tough as she liked people to think she was; she was just like the rest of us. Insecure, unsure of what was in front of her and full of emotion. It was rare to see her like this and when you did you were just reminded that she was indeed human after all.