Part 1: The Detective

DOWNTOWN MANHATTAN - Monday, November 4th, 20XX. 3:20 am

The world was spinning, my head was pounding and I had lost what I thought was reality. My jacket was nowhere to be found and I swore I was losing my mind as I thought I was hearing things. What was supposed to be a normal night out ended up being a grave mistake, I knew I had to stop drinking so much. I had to move on. Not to mention, I was going back to work so I really needed to get my head straight. I felt my hair was covered in sweat, my button-up shirt was wrinkled and I'm pretty sure I lost my watch. "What the fuck did I do tonight?"

I thought to myself as I combed my hand through my hair, "Fuck." I mumbled. Suddenly, I looked behind me, I felt someone was watching my every move. I hadn't driven, causing me to have to walk to my apartment. Yet, as I continued walking, I saw a shadow flash before me and into an alleyway. The person was swift in the shadows, part of me wanted to investigate but I knew that would be stupid, I continued to head home instead.

GRIFFIN'S APARTMENT - Monday, November 4th, 20XX. 5:28 am

I slowly woke up only to realize that I had a massive headache, it felt like there were a thousand nails being hammered into my skull. "God damn it, Griffin!" I thought to myself as I got out of bed, and decided to take a shower before I headed off to work, which would probably help. I opened my bedroom door and headed into the hallway, there were takeout boxes on the counter and a bunch of case files sprawled throughout the apartment. My place wasn't much but it was the most I could afford after what happened... I rubbed my eyes between my temple but who was I kidding? All of a sudden, Jax, my rottweiler came up to me from his spot on the couch and looked up at me "At least I have you bud." I said as I scratched behind his ears. I walked over to the bathroom and stripped off my clothes, they completely reeked of alcohol and cigarette butts.

As I looked in the mirror I noticed that my beard was getting out of control, so I got my razor and firmly started to shave. I turned on the shower and got in. I combed my hands through my wet hair again and lathered soap down my body, it scaled down my abs all the way down... I rested my arm against the front of the shower with the hot water pouring down my back. I needed to get ready for work but all I could do was stand there and think about her.

I stood in the shower for a few more minutes to collect my thoughts, I then got out of the shower with a towel wrapped around my waist, and went into the kitchen to pour myself a cup of coffee. I stood in my living room looking out the window where the escape shaft was and began to drink my coffee half-naked, I knew today was going to be a long day. I quickly checked to see the time only to realize it was already 6:15 am, "Shit! I'm gonna be late." I said to myself, I ran to my bedroom to get changed and my towel fell to the floor. I could not be late on my first day back.

NYPD 19TH PRECINCT - Monday, November 4th, 20XX. 6:35 am

I got out of the car and was heading to the station, I felt someone watching me again. Yet, I turned around and saw no one, I was in no mood for this kind of bullshit, I just kept walking and headed inside-

"SURPRISE! WELCOME BACK DETECTIVE GRIFFIN BROOKS!" The whole department screamed, and I was utterly shocked (a little annoyed too). "Welcome back man!" Jeffery said as he came in for a hug, "We missed ya!" and then patted me on the shoulder. "Yeah," I said as I continued walking with Jeffery, everyone else in the station shared smiles with me. Jeffery then stopped and turned towards me, "Look, I know you had a hard breakup so that's why I got you one of the biggest cases which will surely turn your brooding self... into something... happier," and then he smiled.

I sighed, "I don't think that's a good idea..." "It's a serial killer case," Jeffery stated seriously; "and the Chief wants you to solve it, you know you can't say no." He continued.