SIX

♛ ♛ ♛

Dani paced outside the closed double doors of the living room where she could faintly hear the voices of her mother, Klaus, Rebekah, and the witch who had kidnapped her. She waited around as she wasn't allowed inside with Hayley was keeping an eye on her to make sure she wouldn't use magic to enter the room. It's not like she could do any spells at the moment. Her mother had only taught her how to siphon magic and how to sense it.

"We just need you to perform a teeny, tiny locator spell to help us find our brother," Rebekah explained after Sophie's outburst from inside the room.

"Witches who practice magic in this town get caught and killed," Sophie told them.

"Yes about that," Klaus spoke up, "it seems you left out a crucial detail when we made our deal; Marcel's secret weapon, one he didn't even tell Faith about, the way he knows when a witch is using magic."

"Girl about yay high," Rebekah continued, "cute as a button, anger issues."

Sophie looked at them in surprise. "Davina? Where have you seen her?"

"Let me cut to the chase. Davina has Elijah. You witches, I assume, want to get Davina from Marcel. We don't know where she is ergo we need magic," Klaus said.

"Davina would sense it," Sophie remarked.

"This would be a lot easier for you if you haven't put a stop to my magic," Faith spoke up, glaring at the witch. She hated witches more than she had ever had after taking her daughter, threatening her with the child she would soon be bearing, and stopping her from doing her magic. "If I even try to do a simple spell, I start coughing up blood and I would like to live long after this child is born."

"Unless, of course," Rebekah returned the topic to the plan before Faith lost her temper. After getting pregnant, the siphoner had gotten short-tempered and easily got annoyed with those she wasn't close with as a result of a death of a babysitter and the siphoner to cough blood for using magic. "Say, a traitor to the cause, Katie, for example, was to perform much more powerful magic at the same time that would create a smokescreen concealing your very small spell from Davina."

Sophie slowly shook her head in protest, "but Katie doesn't deserve to die."

Faith sighed in annoyance and leaned into the small armchair as Klaus lost his patience, slamming his hands on the coffee table and stood up. "Sophie Deveraux, you're in no position to be so principled and moral, especially after hexing a pregnant woman and kidnapping her child. You can't win a war without a few strategic losses, no matter how regrettable they may be. How many times have the vampires been one step ahead, known something they shouldn't? Your sister executed in the public square for practicing magic, who knew she'd be caught? Did she even attempt to flee?"

"She was caught hiding in a cargo hold of a freighter before it set sail down the Mississippi," the witch said, lowly. Klaus had obviously hit a nerve.

"And who, pray tell, of Marcel's valued inner circle manages his business at the docks?"

"Katie's boyfriend, Thierry."

Faith smirked at the statement. "Well, that settles it, doesn't it?"

♛ ♛ ♛

"Don't you want to go to the party with Klaus?" Hayley asked as she and Faith walked around the edge of the swimming pool. Dani was sitting over the edge, letting her feet dip into the cold water. She wanted to jump into the pool to swim, but Faith didn't want her to so they compromised.

"Something always bad happens at parties from my experience," Faith said, looking at the starry night sky. "Plus what better night than to spend it with the werewolf who tried to kill my child?"