SIXTEEN

♛ ♛ ♛

Dani knew the compound like the back of her hand. She lived there with Marcel when her mother lived somewhere else. She had her own room that hadn't changed since she left. It still had her twin-size bed, her piles of art supplies, and her canvases. The vampires roaming the compound didn't bother her, though they were a bit annoying as they watched her every move.

They used to bother her. She used to be scared of them, even when she was around Marcel.

However, now that she was around her mother, she felt safer and more confident. She was able to control her siphoning better and she could even do some small spells.

She was crossing the courtyard with different colored chalk smudged on her hands when she saw Davina entering the compound. She grinned at the sight of the teenage witch in her simple dress with her long brown hair in a half and half hairstyle. Dani's eyebrows furrowed in confusion when the witch went straight to the garage as if sensing something.

Quietly and quickly, the young siphoner followed after the witch. She didn't know if the witch couldn't sense her, was ignoring her, or concentrating on something else that she didn't sense Dani following after her. The siphoner tip-toed down the short curved steps into the garage, where she heard two familiar voices.

"What are you doing in here?" Davina smiled, widely at Josh, who had been hidden behind an old-fashioned car.

The vampire came out of the shadows and held out his arms to hug the witch as a greeting when he noticed the young girl behind her. She had an adorable confused expression on her face with hazel eyes looking at them.

"Uh, hi, Dani," the vampire waved, awkwardly.

The witch between them whisked around and when her eyes met with the young siphoner, she grinned and rushed to pull her into a hug. "Dani!" she exclaimed and pulled away from the little girl. "How've you been?"

"I have an uncle and aunt," Dani said the first thing that came to mind, causing the witch to chuckle.

Davina turned to Josh. "You haven't told me what're you doing here?"

"Uh, you know, I'm hiding out," the vampire answered, glancing cautiously at the little girl with them. He wasn't sure if she was going to run to Klaus about him, but the witch seemed to trust her. "You know, incognito, got to run for the hills, but I'm stuck here until it gets dark."

Dani looked at the vampire, confused. "You don't have a daylight something?"

She was even more confused when the witch gave her a pointed look. Was it insensitive to ask about that? Davina looked back at the vampire with concern. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," Josh tried to reassure her, but he shook his head. "No, not really. I mean, I totally led Klaus into a trap that was like the most epic failure of all time, so, yeah, I'm kind of crapping my pants right now. Figuratively, so far."

"It's okay," the witch reassured her. "You can trust Marcel and if Klaus tries to hurt you, I'll hurt him."

Dani wasn't sure if she was supposed to be with the witch and vampire. Josh had led Klaus into a supposed death trap and Davina was thinking of hurting Klaus. She had started to grow close to the hybrid and loved when he took time to paint and draw with her. She liked the idea of him and her mother marrying. Well, more like she liked the idea of her being a flower girl for a wedding. But still, she liked Klaus.

"I'm sure if you could actually stop Klaus," all three of them turned toward the steps to see Hayley looking at them, "you would've done it already."