Chapter Three

I opened my eyes to see Kasey sitting in the chair next to the bed. The smell of old surrounded me as I looked around the hospital room.

"Where am I?" I asked.

Kasey jumped up to my side when she realized I was awake. It looks as though she had been crying. Her eyes were puffy and slightly red.

"You went unconscious at the accident." She said softly.

For a few seconds, I had forgotten. "Ellie, two officers have been waiting to talk to you. They want you to make a statement."

I was confused. "My statement?" Kasey's face went blank as if she was nervous about mentioning Kyle.

"Because you were the last to talk to Kyle Degree before he died." She said uncomfortably.

I nodded my head and pulled myself into a sitting position as Kasey opened the door to greet them. The male and female officers from the accident entered the room.

The woman spoke first "Maxwell, I'm Officer Johnson and this is my partner Officer Davis. We understand the traumatic scene you just witnessed. However, we were wondering if you could provide us with more detail?"

I thought back to running towards the truck and how I felt so far away. I nodded. "I was locking up at work, um, I work at the Shopstore. It was around 8:05pm. I didn't see what happened; all I remember before turning around was a huge bang. It shook the store windows. I don't understand what he was doing there. He was fired and I watched him leave at 7:30pm."

I started to tear up when I pictured his face. It was colourless, and my heart began to race.

Officer Davis spoke, "do you know where he was coming from?" I shook my head, no. "He must not have left the parking lot right away after he finished his shift." I muttered out loud. "Was he conscious when you arrived at his side, if so, did he say anything to you?" I thought back to what happened, and my eyes lit up. His mom, his last words were about his mom, and how he loved her.

"Yes, he wanted me to pass the message along to his mother that he loved her." I replied quietly.

"We will pass it along, thank you. I know none of this has been easy for you." Officer Johnson said politely. I nodded my head and looked over to Kasey, sitting in the chair beside me. Kasey watched the officers leave.

What was he still doing at the store? I thought to myself.