Chapter Ten

I got home and showered.

I sat on my bed thinking about the waterfall, and the look in Jacobs' eyes when he held onto me. Was I starting to have feelings for him? He makes me feel whole again. I thought about group and session on healing.

I noticed the letter on my desk. I looked down at the picture of my mom and me on my desk next to the letter.

I still wanted to open that letter so badly.

Was Maxwell Jefferson, my father?

I opened the yellow pages web browser and searched for his name.

There were seven Maxwell Jefferson's. One was just south of Fort Heinz.

I was going to do it.

I wasn't entirely sure of what "it" was, but I knew my first step was finding my father. I put my head down against my arm on the desk. This plan could only work if I can get a ride there and back. I could ask Jessica, but we wouldn't make it very far with her car. I could ask Aunt Kasey to take the time off work but she just got a new position and is grabbing all the shifts she can.

That's when I noticed Jacob's bedroom light was turned on.

"Hmm, I wonder if Jacob will take me to find my father."

This plan could work as long as I can get Jacob on board.

I looked towards Jacobs window again. "Hmm." I thought to myself. I wonder if I can still climb the tree like I use too. I jumped out of my bedroom window. Stepped on to the tree branch outside my windowsill, slid my butt across that branch to the next. I took a few steps up that branch and grabbed onto Jacobs windowsill. I pushed open his window and fell in. Standing up to straighten out my shirt, I took a look around his room, and he was gone.

Where did he go? He was just here.

Everything has changed since we were kids. Toys turned to trophies and crafts to posters.

Suddenly a figure entered the room, I screamed, and he jumped.

"Harrison, what the hell are you doing in here?" I caught my breath.

"I'm sorry, so very sorry. Oh man, climbing that tree was so much easier when I was 12."

Jacob just stood there in a towel staring at me. I took another glance around his room. I looked back at Jacob, water streaking down his chest, caught my attention as it rolled down his abs. His abs could grate cheese I thought to myself.

"HARRISON?" Right! I thought.

"Will you come to Milgram with me?"

Well, that didn't come out according to plan. I looked at Jacob with serious confusion from myself.

"Yes," he said.

"I want to go find my biological father. I haven't got a plan, but will you please come with me."

He stood there, watching me.

"I said yes," he replied again.

"Wait; what?" I asked.

"I will go with you to Milgram."

I missed the first time he said yes; I think I was so ready for him to say no that I didn't even notice he didn't say it.

"Wow, okay. I honestly didn't think you would say yes, so I didn't plan out the rest of this conversation in my head"

Jacob looked at me with a massive smirk as if that didn't surprise him.