Chapter 42

Suddenly, her hands start glowing f/c and a transparent f/c barrier surrounded all of us.

"I finally caught the Phantom Troupe, your heads will cost me fortunes. My friends will be here soon to capture you guys and like what I said before, I apologise in advance. Nothing personal though." She took a chair and sat on it while smiling at us.

"Why are you doing this?" Shalnark ask.

"For money." She simply replied.

"Y/n, don't do this to us." Shalnark held the barrier with pleading in his eyes.

"Why not? Each of your heads cost 1 billion jennies, that is enough to make me rich." She smirk and I couldn't believe what I was seeing in front of me.

"Y/n we are your family!" Shalnark exclaimed and Y/n started chuckling.

"Family? Why would I have a family like you guys? A group of thieves and killers." Hatred was shown in her eyes and I barely recognise her from before.

"The tattoo on your thigh will prove that we are your family." Shalnark said softly and Y/n slightly widen her eyes, as if this triggered something.

"This tattoo was given by the Mafia who took me in, it was a set up so I can get close to you guys. One of my friend can put fake memories inside someone and he's been doing it to you guys which was very effective. He put a memory of me inside your heads to make it seems like I became part of your group which in real life, I am not." She explained and this somehow makes sense to me.

"Although he have a limit so he didn't get to manipulate everyone, like you." She looked at me and I felt a stung on my chest.

Is that the reason why I don't remember her? If that so then why do I feel things that I never felt before? This isn't right, something is really wrong about this.

"We have someone who can restore your memory for you, Pakunoda can give you your memories back. Please don't do this to us." Shalnark was still persuading her and Pakunoda stepped forward.

Y/n stared at her for a while before returning her gaze to Shalnark.

"This isn't you Y/n, please believe me."

And I did believe Shalnark, I've known him more than anyone else and I know that lying is not his thing. I could see in his eyes of how determine he is telling the truth. I look at Y/n, wishing that she would agree and then her gaze met mine.

My heart skipped a beat. I recognise those eyes, I recognise those looks. I recognise everything about her and I hate the thought of her betraying us. I didn't get manipulated by anyone for my heart knows who she was. I may not remember but the feelings was there.

There's also a possibility that what she was saying was true but there's a downfall on that type of Nen. They may be able to change the memories but they can never change the feelings of a person.

That is the only thing they cannot manipulate and I know for sure that Y/n was the woman I love in the past. Why do I think that? It's because of everything I felt whenever I'm with her and what Shalnark told me before. Also the empty feeling inside me when I don't see her for one day.

"Let me return your memories Y/n, trust me." Pakunoda spoke and it seemed like Y/n was trying to decide whether to let her or not.

"You're having second thoughts right?" I spoke out loud and we met gaze. "It's because of the feelings you are feeling right now, your heart knows who we are even though your mind says you don't know us." I explained and I could see in her eyes that she was starting to believe us.

"All the feelings that you felt for me in these past few days, you felt them because... because we used to love each other. No, we love each other up until now Y/n. I should have said it earlier but... I was afraid that you might start avoiding me." I continued speaking and I saw in her eyes that what I was saying was true.

"Y/n you know so well that anyone can manipulate the mind but no one can manipulate the heart." I ended and she look at Pakunoda.

She was about to say something but then someone came. I widen my eyes as I recognised who it was, Jericho.

Jericho stood in front of us then lock his eyes with mine, as if he was warning me to never ever get close to Y/n.

"I was the one who put that thought inside their head." Jericho was pretending that it was a fact. "Anyways you did a good job here Y/n, we can send them to the Mafia and take the bounty afterwards. Let's go."