Coming of age

I really enjoyed writing this chapter. :)

***

Astrid and Oakley returned from their early morning flight.

The girls entered Astrid's hut to find Lotus sat waiting for them. A small package on the table in the center. Astrid took Oakley by the hand and lead her into the room.

'Astrid?' Oakley said questioningly.

'Shhhh...' She responded, stopping at the table. 'I have something for you.'

She picked up the small package and handed it to the confused young Viking.

'Astrid...'

'I know, I know.' She interrupted. 'But I wanted to... So just open it!' She ordered impatiently.

Oakley did as she asked and opened the box to reveal what was inside. She froze and smiled before looking up at Astrid and back down to her gift.

'Astrid you did not...' Oakley beamed. Astrid let out an excited squeak.

Oakley slowly pulled the contents out, revealing a skirt, similar to Astrids, a new pair of navy grey leggings, and a black shirt with a long-sleeved overshirt, the same crimson red as the shirt she always wore.

'What's all this about?' Oakley was stunned by how amazing this gift was.

'Well, I know you are having a bit of an identity crisis... So I wanted to help you with that. I remember how much you enjoyed wearing a skirt, so I got Hiccup to help make you an outfit I thought you would feel, more you in.' She explained.

'Just when I thought you couldn't get any more amazing...' Oakley smiled. 'I love it, thank you.' She quickly pulled Astrid into a hug.

'There's more.' Astrid said breaking the hug. 'Go put your new outfit on first. There's no buckles, so you should be able to handle it.'

Oakley giggled, hugging her once more before running into Astrid's room to try her new outfit on.

A few minutes passed before Oakley emerged from Astrids bedroom. Her face was beaming with joy. Astrid stared at her for a moment, completely speechless before snapping back to reality.

'You look, beautiful.' She practically drooled. 'Now, sit!' She pointed towards a stool.

'Why?' Oakley asked suspiciously.

'Just trust me.'

Oakley couldn't argue. So she sat on the stool as Lotus approached with a comb and a pair of scissors. Time for a haircut.

***

A few moments later

***

'Done' Lotus said, placing the comb and scissors on the table.

She had shortened Oakley's hair by a few inches. Instead of reaching the small of her back, it now reached the middle. And instead of being in the same high ponytail she always wore, it was left to flow free, with the same knotted braid along the side that Astrid had. But, instead of leading into a larger braid, it was pinned under a layer of hair at the back of her head. Her kransen had been tucked under the braid and her bangs, only showing around the back of her head.

***

Oakley and Astrid returned to the center of Berk to meet up with the other riders.

They all gasped when they saw Oakley, looking completely different.

'WOW!' They all said. Oakley giggled. Astrid couldn't help being overjoyed that Oakley was happy for the first time in weeks.

Oakley couldn't help but notice that it was oddly quiet. Not a Viking insight. Hiccup was also not saying much. But considering what day it was, she couldn't blame him.