Chapter 45

"Happy Birthday, Princess!" I said shaking and tickling Maddie awake. She curled up into a ball, laughing and trying to wrestle herself from underneath me.

"Okay! Okay!" she said breathless. I laughed and hugged her tightly.

"I can't remember. How old are you today? 20? 21?"

"Seven, Auntie." she rolled her eyes.

"I know I'm just kidding."

"Where's Uncle Avery?"

"He's getting his medicine baby, but he'll be here later. He has a surprise for you downstairs though."

"Really? What is it?"

"I'm not going to tell you! Go see for yourself." She rolled over my legs and dashed out the room. Cloud followed not too far behind. "Be careful!" I yelled after her. Ariana sat on the couch playing with Ava and Maya. I held out my arms in front of them and only Ava reached out. I picked her up and kissed her chubby cheek then walked out to the backyard where Maddie was screaming and bouncing around in her Disney Princess bouncy house that matched the rest of the backyard. Avery had even found a dye that turned the pool water pink. I thought it was so extra but he wanted to go all out for Maddie. It was the first birthday he had ever spent with her and it was cute how hard he was trying to please her.

"I. LOVE. IT!" she yelled between bounces. Cloud stood on his hind legs, his tail wagging rapidly as he tried to get in with her. I took a video of her and sent it to Avery.

"Okay! Come on. It's time to get ready before all your friends get here!"

"Auntie, look at the pool! It's pink!"

"I know. I hope everyone remembers to bring their bathing suit."

"Where's the cake?"

"In the fridge. You'll see it later."

Maddie was dressing as Princess Aurora. I was going to dress as Maleficent but the horns made the babies cry so I had to return the costume and be Princess Jasmine instead. Ava was Pocahontas and Maya was Princess Tiana. They looked too cute and I couldn't stop snapping pictures from the minute I got them dressed this morning.

"Ariana, can you put Maya to sleep. She needs a nap before everyone gets here."

"WHAT? I thought this was Ava the whole time!" she yelled from the bottom of the steps.

I burst out laughing. Ava just stared at me and then laughed too while she flailed her hands. "Your auntie is so silly, huh?"

"Check her necklace." The first week the babies were born Avery bought them gold necklaces with their initial because to save his life he couldn't tell them apart. I knew though, with or without the necklace. She pulled it out of her dress.

"Ohhh, I didn't see that. Where's her bottle?"

"In the fridge. Put it in the bottle warmer then make sure you ch..."

"I know!" she said walking away in mid-sentence. I sat in the nursery chair and fed and burped Ava. She yawned but she didn't drift asleep like she usually did. I cradled her in my arms and rocked her gently up and down, singing softly to her.

"Auntie."

"Shh" Maddie covered her mouth quickly. She was dripping wet in her light purple robe. "Yes, baby?" I whispered.