Chapter 32

I stared hesitantly at my phone. I hadn't talked to my mom in two years and that's only because I called her. She made no effort to talk to me and when we finally did speak we didn't necessarily leave off on a good note. My mother and I used to be like best friends but when my nephew died everything changed. At the funeral she didn't even look at me. She never flat out said it but I knew she blamed me for what happened to Jamai. At first it made me blame myself too but once I realized it wasn't my fault, I hated her for making me feel like it was. I inhaled deeply before picking up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi... Autumn?"                                                      

"Yeah..."

"It's mom."

"Yeah I know."

"How are you?"

"Yeah I'm kinda busy so um...did you need something, is everything okay?"

"Yeah everything's fine. Listen, I know we haven't talked in a while but your sister showed me a picture of you on that Instagram thing or whatever. Well I just wanted to say congratulations and that I'm happy for you and that I... I love you."

"Um" I rubbed my hand against my forehead. "Can I call you back?"

"...Yeah"

I hung up the phone and pushed it back into my pocket.

"You okay?" Avery asked

"Yeah I'm good."

"Babe."

"I'm good, I promise." I fake smiled before kissing his cheek. I helped him grab the trays and placed them on the table before going to the rest room. I made sure no one else was in the bathroom before locking myself in the stall and breaking down in tears. I had mixed emotions about my mom calling. A part of me hated her and wanted to tell her off but the other half of me was so happy and just wanted for us to be best friends again. She was my mom but what did she think was going to happen from that phone call? She abandoned me when I needed her the most. She ignored me for years and I was just supposed to open my arms back up to her because what, she was happy that I was pregnant? I heard the door open and quickly unraveled tissue and began to dry and blot my eyes. I came back out the stall and stared at my bright red eyes in the mirror. I washed off my face and waited for a few more seconds, completely composing myself before I went back to the table. When I opened the door Avery was waiting for me.

"Why aren't you eating?"

"Why were you crying?"

"Can we talk about it later? I just want to enjoy the rest of this day." I said batting my eyes that were beginning to get wet again.

"Okay." He wrapped his arm around my neck while mine hugged his waist. We sat back at the table and I instantly felt better as soon as I saw Maddie shoving a whole fries into her mouth. I giggled a little as I rested my head on Avery while they all ate.

"Here Auntie" Maddie said holding out a fry. I leaned in to bite it gently nibbling on her finger causing her to laugh. I sipped on my milkshake while I waited for everyone to finish eating, occasionally picking from Avery's plate.

"I thought you didn't want anything."

"I don't! It's not me, it's the babies." He smiled at me before getting up to throw away everyone's trash. Nathan stood up shortly after, picked Maddie up, and placed her on his shoulders.

"Bye!" Maddie waved to the workers as we headed out. They all smiled and waved back. It was 11:13 by the time we had finished eating and it was almost time for the fireworks. Nathan and Maddie walked ahead while Avery and I followed way behind.