6.0

6.0

            The second the door chimes I'm standing, my coffee spilled across the wooden table. I turn in a flash, breathless, to find that it's not him. It's a stranger, eager to get out of the cold. But the information doesn't stop me as I take off.

            I don't wait to button up my coat as I rush into the street, away from the coffee shop that I never plan to return to. Worried that he might spot me running away, I pick the direction Roman went off to and start quickly walking down the sidewalk, trying to put as much distance between me and that place as possible.

            It isn't until the night is black that I realize I don't really know New York at all and I'm by myself in the streets, without a sense of direction. But then I see a flash of brown-blonde shaggy hair in a crowd and I pick up my pace, trying to get to him before he bustles into the club with a group of people.

            I raise my hand, my breath catching in my throat for a moment. "Adam!"

           His head whips in my direction and his face is expressionless. When his eyes land on me he smiles, but it's hesitant. With a word to someone in the crowd he comes towards me, breaking free of the throng.

            "Piper?" He looks around as if expecting to see I'm here with someone. "It really is you." He brings me into his arms without warning and holds me tightly in the cold, not letting go for more than a few moments. When he pulls back he stays close, his frosty breath tickling my cheeks as he smiles at me. "What are you doing here?"

            For the first time since getting lost I get a good look at my surroundings. It's not a good part of town, to say the least. How did I even make it this far on my own? How many blocks did I run?

            "Ah-I'm not sure," I admit, looking down at my boots. "I'm not exactly positive where here even is."

            Adam pats my shoulder and grins. "You get lost a lot, Piper."

            I snort. "In more ways than you think."