3.5

3.5

            It’s spitting rain as I walk down the cobblestone sidewalk, unsure of my way back but going in the right direction nonetheless.

            I hug my jacket tightly to my body, the warm fog doing nothing to warm my damp hair and coat. Nobody is outside except for me. No one on the streets or driving by. When I last checked the clock, it was shortly after four. Everyone would be home from school and work already, and who knows how much time has passed since then.

            I’m wandering aimlessly, praying I get back to Elizabeth Roe’s before dark, but with the clouds already darkening the sky, things aren’t looking good.

            And then I bump into a hard chest.

            Firm hands grasp my shoulders and keep me on my feet as I look up from the ground. When I come face to face with the last person I expected, I feel even more buzzed than I did before.

            “Roman?”

            “That’s the name.” He smirks down at me but then tilts his head to the side as if he’s studying me. “Why are your eyes so red? Are you – oh.” He cuts himself off and laughs. “No wonder you didn’t hear me.”

            “Hear you?” I thought I hadn’t seen him.

            “I was calling your name and you didn’t even look up.” He brushes a wet strand from my forehead. “Piper, are you high?”

            I don’t answer.

            Roman shakes his head. “Come on.”

            He puts an arm around my shoulders and starts guiding me down the street. We’re silent for a few blocks, but then he drops his arm and lets me walk myself.

            “So why?”

            I scrunch my forehead together, confused. “Why what?”

            “Why high?”

            I don’t know if he’s making a joke, but I’m no longer in the move to laugh so I shrug instead. There isn’t really an answer I have for him.

            “Something to do?” He waits to see if I’ll respond and then nods, as if he’s realizing something. “No, you’re past that. I can tell. A distraction, perhaps? An escape to take the edge off?”

            I don’t give him a reaction.

            Suddenly he stops and I’ve walked two steps ahead before I realize it. Turning around, we stand face to face. His hands are shoved in his pockets while I hug myself.

            “Why?” he repeats.

            I meet his gaze. “Somebody died.”