2.2

2.2

            I slump into a seat at an empty table at the back of the huge library, thinking that because of the size, no one will find me here. My books tumble onto the wood as I let my head sink onto the desk. I barely slept an hour last night. I felt like I had drank five cups of coffee and from five in the morning until now at two in the afternoon, I've been feeling my stomach churn, wondering if and when I was going to finally throw up.

            The wood is cool against my cheek and I close my eyes, basking in it. I have the last period of the day free for once and since I'm not allowed to go back to my dorm until the school day officially ends, the library is a perfect place for a nap.

            "You know the sweater from your uniform makes the perfect pillow," a male voice says.

            I don't open my eyes. "The desk is cold."

            The person makes a noise of acknowledgement as a chair scrapes against the cheap carpet. I wince as the person drops their arm onto the desk, sending a tremor directly into my face. When I don't look up, they begin drumming their fingers, the noise and the vibrations excruciating.

            "I'm trying to sleep," I mutter, dragging my head up off the table. When I blink open my eyes I stare directly at Adam. My eyes widen.

            "Oh," he says smugly. "I hadn't noticed."

            I glare at him and lean on my arm, trying to prevent myself from climbing onto the floor and using it as a bed.

            "You're a real ass, you know that?"

            He laughs and drops tapping his fingers. "So I've been told."

            I turn away from him, letting my eyes glance over the stacks of books. For the very far corner on the bottom floor of the library – the very place where the boring books nobody looks at is located – Adam has seemed to have found me.

            "What do you want?" I ask.

            Adam leans back and folds his arms behind his head. "To talk."

            "About?"

            "Well, actually, I wanted to apologize for being an ass. I wasn't exactly nice to you and to call you a bitch and all that, it wasn't fair." He sighs. "I'm sorry, Piper."

            I want to make him work for it, to even try and get him to beg. But I'm just too tired for it and close my eyes again.

            "Apology accepted."

            "I wanted to know if you wanted to do something tonight, but if you're tired, we can do something another time." When I open one eye to look at him, his smile is genuine.

            "I think I may need a few days to recuperate," I admit.

            "Saturday, then? We can do something nice this time, something that won't require illegal access."

            I smile and raise my eyebrows, finally opening my eyes all the way. "Nothing illegal? That doesn't sound like fun."

            Adam grins. "I'll see what I can do."