Chapter 35 - epilogue

The next time I saw him was a decade later at our unofficial high school reunion gathering that someone from our school put together.

I walked into a room filled with familiar strangers. The people I knew once upon a time in highschool. My bullies, my acquaintances... and Mark.

My beautiful girlfriend was on my left, and Riley on my right as we walked into our high school reunion.

Growing up I thought I was gay, but with Mika I felt things that I never felt with Mark or any other guy. I guess I had just never gotten much attention from girls and so I only really stuck around with guys. I don't really have a sexuality, but I don't think I'd ever really date a a guy. I mean, there was always Riley, but she's more of a dude than Mark and Seán combined.

"Wait," I said, tugging both of their hands. Their conversation stilled as they looked back at me. "I'm scared."

"You head on in," Riley told Mika. "I got this."

She nodded politely and walked off into the building.

"I'm scared too," she said, sitting down on a low, nearby brick wall. "Is it Mark?"

I nodded reluctantly, peeling the skin off of my lip with my teeth.

"Don't do that," she said, swatting my hand away. "Don't you wanna look good for your man?" She joked.

"What if I like him?" I asked her, not laughing at her joke. "What if I fall for him again? What if he isn't even here? What if I get jealous when I see him with Amy?"

Thanks to social media, I've been able to track him down and find out that they never even broke up. I guess Amy was right. I guess she really is his home.

Along with his relationship status, I also found out that he's actually an influencer now. He has millions of subscribers and makes YouTube videos. Mostly gaming.

Riley stood up, pulling me in right for a hug. She played with my hair and kissed my cheek softly as she backed away, holding both of my hands in front of her.

"But what if you don't?"

Before I could change my mind, she led us into the building. I spotted Mika from across the room, but she wasn't who I was looking for.

Riley nudged her head in Mark's direction. He was staring at me. He looked the same and Amy looked amazing in her black dress. Massive glow up. It was a pretty formal event so everyone was dressed nicely. Mark looked beautiful too.

He looked away from me for a moment, handed Amy his drink, said something to her, and started walking in my direction.

"Holy shit he's coming," I said. Riley almost choked on her white wine and we both whisper shouted "be cool" at the same time. Our jinx made both of us laugh. We hadn't pulled a "be cool" since we were in school.

Riley was still laughing as she walked off.

"Wow," Mark said, eyeing me up and down. "You look amazing!"

He pulled me in for a hug which I accepted. He doesn't smell the same anymore.

"You do too!" I complimented. He chuckled deeply. He doesn't sound the same anymore.

"So you and Riley are still kickin it, huh?" He asked with a grin. His smile isn't the same anymore.

"Oh of course," I laughed. "You and Amy as well?"

Mark showed me his left hand which sported a silver wedding band. Wow.

"Congratulations!" I gleamed. "I'm so happy for you, Mark."

He thanked me in return.

I imagined this happening in my head, but in my head I was angry and jealous and threatened. In reality, the only thing I felt for him was pure happiness. I'm proud of him.

After a few minutes of trivialities and polite questions, Mark asked me about my career and I inquired about his, pretending as if I didn't already know.

I was genuinely interested in what he did and his relationship with his fan base. I've never really wanted to be famous, but his career sounds wonderful.

"So you're into editing, yeah?" He asked. "Do you have a solid job right now?"

"Unfortunately not," I said timidly. I felt embarrassed admitting my failure to someone so successful, but it was the truth.

When I looked up from my shoes and back into his eyes, he asked me a question that would change my life forever.

"Would you like one?"

A/N: 756 words
The end :)