𝟏𝟗

chapter eighteen

chapter eighteen.

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

"ELENA, WHY AM I HERE?" Harper asked in a hushed voice as she sat in the living room of the Salvatore residence. She had been dragged there by Elena that morning, much to her distaste.

Harper hadn't spoken with Damon since the whole Caroline incident, and she hadn't even planned on glancing in his direction until she was forced to because Elena insisted they needed "all hands on deck" for research on the Lockwoods.

"I already told you, we need all the brains we can get right now to figure this out." Elena replied from beside Stefan, glancing out into the hallway, where Damon was letting Alaric inside of the house from the patio. "Did something happen between you and Damon? I thought you two were friends?" She asked, earning a scoff from Harper.

"Far from it. He's an annoying little prick, which is exactly why I don't want to be here." Harper replied firmly, causing Stefan to step in.

"Harper, I know my brother isn't always the kindest person, but, we could really use your help." Stefan spoke up, sending Harper a sympathetic smile, to which she slightly returned, but only because she knew it wasn't Stefan's fault.

A few moments later, Damon walked in the living room with Alaric, who looked incredibly confused.

"Thanks for coming, Ric." Stefan greeted him, turning his gaze away from Harper.

"Elena mentioned you needed my help." Alaric stated, but it sounded like more of a question.

"Yeah, we were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family." Stefan replied as he watched Alaric sit down on the couch, Damon still standing near the entry to the living room.

"Why do you think I would know anything about the Lockwood?" Alaric asked, crossing his arms over his chest as he glanced between Stefan and Damon.

"Well, you wouldn't. But, your dead... Not dead vampire wife might." Damon cut in, finally taking a seat on one of the velvet chairs.

"Isobel's research, from when you guys were at Duke together." Elena piped up, a bit more sympathetic to Alaric's situation than Damon had been.

"You said that she had spent years researching this town?" Stefan clarified, leaning forward in his seat, his elbows resting on his knees.

"Isobel's research here was rooted in folklore and legend. At the time, I thought most of which was fiction." Alaric explained, and Harper could tell it was a bit difficult for him to talk about his ex-wife.

"Like that amazing vampire story." Damon commented sarcastically, a small grin on his face as Alaric sent him a look.

"Aside from vampires, what else?" Elena asked, trying her best to ignore Damon's comments.