forty seven

Jacob smiled when he saw the girl, although it shortly faded when his eyes met Juyeon's, who had just trailed down the stairs behind her

Nonetheless, Nari ran to him, hugging him tightly as he tried his best to ignore the stares from the boy.

"Happy birthday," he grinned as the girl pulled away. "Surprise."

"Thank you," she smiled, letting out a breath as Sangyeon watched them, making her shift awkwardly. She couldn't embrace him or kiss him quite the way she wanted to. "You shouldn't have came all the way here."

"Why not?" Jacob asked with a slight pout. "It's your birthday."

"It's expensive," Nari shook her head, sighing. "Although, I'm glad you're here. Sangyeon kept this one quiet."

"Don't I always?" Her brother smiles, placing a hand under his chin as though a halo would appear above his head.

"Let's get a drink," Nari says to Jacob, taking his hand and heading towards the kitchen.

He looked around to see some people scattered, all of which he did recognise, sending a wave towards Kevin.

"Have you had a good night so far?" He asks, watching as the girl pours him a drink.

"I have," Nari smiles contently, thinking of all the gifts laying upstairs, but specifically his. "Everyone has been really kind with what they got me."

"That reminds me," he smiles, looking to the corner of the kitchen before walking over. "I have yours here."

"Thank you," she blushed, taking the bag from his hand. "Would you like me to open it now?"

"I kind of do, if that's okay," he smiled, she could tell he was excited, just like Juyeon was. "We could later if you wan-"

"I'll open it," Nari nods, taking the wrapped gift from the bag. "Exciting."

Funnily enough, the present was shaped the same way as Juyeon's was, and when she tore off the paper, her eyes widened slightly.

It just happened to be the same thing, but specifically for her and him.

"Oh, thank you," she smiles, opening the first page to see photos of them she didn't even know existed.

However, her face fell when she realised only a few pages were full, and that they probably wouldn't fill up any time soon.

"You like it?" Jacob asks, looking at the girls face as she puts on a smile.

"I love it," she smiles, her eyes trailing behind the boy to see Juyeon enter the kitchen, sparing a glance at her and the book in his hand.

He felt somewhat defeated, although he knew against Jacob, it wasn't a competition. She chose him.

However, deep down, Nari liked his gift more, because it included everyone she was able to make memories with as opposed to just Jacob, and could even include him within the book. She liked how thoughtful Juyeon was, although it didn't take away from the thoughtfulness of Jacob's gift.