alternative ending - chapter sixty #2

Nari was blue too

Nari was blue too.

The fast paced run from the beach turned into a casual stroll. Jacob's sad eyes weren't the only thing that flashed through her vision.

She knew she had things to clear up with him, but someone else right now seemed to be her priority.

It was when she appeared at his front door after the tiring walk that she realised that maybe she had been too cruel leaving Jacob alone on that beach.

Her fist had barely risen to chap upon his door before it opened, a tired, tall, messy haired boy opening.

His eyes were wide, and Nari noted that he always looked at her this way. "Want to go for a walk?"

"Huh?" Juyeon hummed, dumbfounded but nonetheless found himself excited at the prospect of walking alongside her. "Right now?"

"Yes," the girl nodded slowly, chewing the inside of her cheek. "If it's a bad time, I'll go-"

"Never a bad time," the boy denied, shaking his head. "Let me go and get changed."

Waiting for him felt like forever and a day, the nerves were slowly but surely progressing every time she heard movement from inside the house. Just how would she go about this?

"Ready?" Juyeon smiled, the girl nervously smiling back at him as the two began to walk.

Silence wasn't what the boy expected from this spontaneous outing. Truthfully, he was hopeful when he saw the girl looking lost upon his doorstep from his bedroom window.

His sprint towards the front door was nonetheless worth it. "Is something wrong?"

The gentleness of his voice almost made Nari wince. He was always nothing but kind to her, and that confused her even more. "I guess there is."

"You can talk to me about it," Juyeon looked cautiously at the girl. "You know that, right?"

She nodded quickly, the words dancing on the tip of her tongue. It felt like any second now, their blossoming friendship would end quickly after a year of building it up.

"Why do you love me?" Nari finally asked.

It was then the two halted in the middle of the empty neighbourhood road. The sun was still setting, everything glowed orange and only filled the girl with more guilt.

Why did any of these boys have the time for her?

"Um," Juyeon stuttered, looking between her eyes like a lost cat. After a moment, he sucked in a deep breath, his nerves stalling just a little. "Many reasons, truthfully."

"Just tell me one," she pleaded, her hands lost by her side. "Just anything, please."

The boy felt his heart beat thumping against his chest, in disbelief of the conversation he was currently having with her.