fifty five

"You'll be fine," Jacob chuckled as the girl pouted through the screen

"You'll be fine," Jacob chuckled as the girl pouted through the screen. "Don't be too upset, Nari."

"It's so scary," she sighed, strolling down the street as she fixed her earphones in place. "This is the last time I'll walk here."

"Life is great beyond school, I promise," he tried to cheer the girl up, but the bags under her eyes and the look on her face was enough to tell him that she was genuinely sad about leaving. "In a couple of months, you'll be at university."

"I know," Nari smiled through pursed lips, although the prospect didn't scream anything amazing to her. "It's still strange."

Today marked the last official school day, and the girl didn't know who else to call for support other than the boy who had experienced it all before.

Her sadness, however, felt overpowering and dwelled over her like a dark cloud.

She just knew that again, she would have to make the most of the summer, but that only brought back bittersweet memories of the summer she and Jacob shared.

"I've got to go," she said with a sigh, sucking in a deep breath of air as she reached the stairs. "I'll text you, okay?"

"Please do," Jacob smiled, waving to her. "And remember to enjoy yourself."

She smiled, hanging up before taking a look at the building before her as though it was the last time she would ever see it.

Bracing herself, she jogged up the stairs and into the gate, seeing people from her year group gather around, smiling. She wondered how these people could be so happy.

"There you are," Eric said, a gushing smile on his face which only faded when he saw Nari's stern face. "You better cheer up today."

"No thanks," she shook her head, watching as Juyeon approached them, his face gloom too. "See, I'm not the only one."

"Juyeon, I never took you for a nerd either," Eric rolled his eyes, the three walking the halls. "This should be a day of celebration!"

The two stayed silent, there was not much to celebrate about moving away from everyone you cared for or wanted to be close to.

Eric was lucky, his college was nearby, and he wouldn't stray far from Jungeun, but his best friends wouldn't be there. That of course made him sad and gloom, but he couldn't bare his last day at school being like this.

"Tonight, we should go for drinks," he tried to lighten the mood, but the others looked at him with lazy eyes. "Come on, it'll be fun."

"I will," Juyeon nodded, looking over at Nari who shrugged.

"She'll be there, don't worry," Eric said with a cheeky smile, putting his arm around the girls shoulder as she rolled her eyes.

"I guess so."