19. Now That I Think About It Pt3

Bighit High vs Pledis High

The game already started and after four minutes of the game, Hyunsuk and Asahi arrived.

Hyunsuk: You took so long buying a drink, the game's already started started.

After they got there, they checked the score, it was 0-12 to Pledis.

Asahi: What?
Hyunsuk: Whoa, seriously?

At the court

Beomgyu have the ball trying desperately to get pass to chan. But, Chan's defense is just too good.

Beomgyu's thoughts: Bastard. This guy's defense is at least as good as Asahi's.

Crowd: What intense pressure! Who is this guy?

Taehyun: Beomgyu, you're holding the ball too long. Pass it!
Beomgyu: Here!

Beomgyu passed to Taehyun, he went for a layup but got blocked by Mingyu.

Taehyun's thoughts: I thought I was wide open. He appeared out of nowhere.

Mingyu: How naive! Your offense will never crush our defense at that level, first year.

Yeonjun's thoughts: Their defense is so tight. This is tough. I wouldn't expect any less from a top Tokyo team.

Crowd: Bighit still hasn't scored! Amazing!

Asahi: What are they doing?
Hyunsuk: I thought so when we played them, but Bighit's a slow starter. Beomgyu's usually the one to put his foot on the gas, but without that, they can't hit their stride.

Pledis player: Chan, it's fine if you're excited, but don't weak yourself out before the second half.
Chan: Im fine. They're not as good as I thought, so this should be easy!
Beomgyu: What did you say?!!

Beomgyu got passed him, but unfortunately, referee called it a charging foul.

Yeji: Just how easily does that idiot get angry?
Jihoon: Beomgyu, calm down!

Kai: Beomgyu, you already have two fouls. Get five, and you're out.
Beomgyu: I know. Somehow their movements are impossible to play against.

Yeonjun's Thoughts: Seriously? I thought the Generation of Miracles were the only ones who could shut down Beomgyu.

Yeji's Thoughts: We can't even pass. We won't be able to make plays with kuroko. *worried*

Taehyun have the ball and passed to Kai. Kai was looking for someone to pass the ball to. But unfortunately he couldn't because...

Yeji's thoughts: There it is again. He can't pass.

Hyunsuk: Pledis' defense is man to man, but this is no ordinary man to man. They're creating pressure by staying right on their guys the whole time. You can't break away from them easily. No matter how good you are at passing, if no ones free, you're not playing at half power.
Asahi: Their defense is strong, but they'll never last until the end of the game playing like that.
Hyunsuk: But they do, because...

Bighit took a time out because they were struggling

Yeji: Pledis uses old martial arts techniques.
Beomgyu: Old martial arts?
Yeji: Yep, they incorporated movements from old martial arts. One of the techniques they use is called "Namba running." Usually your arms and legs move in opposite directions when you run, but when Namba running, your arms and legs move together.

Hyunsuk: Apparently, by avoiding twisting, you reduce the strain on your body and the energy you spend.
Asahi: You know a lot about this.
Hyunsuk: They're an unusual team. They've been interviewed by Basketball Monthly, too.

Asahi's Thoughts: I see. That's how they do it. Chan's defense is even stronger than last year. However...they won't take this sitting down for long.

Bighit bench

Yeji: In addition to Namba running, they use all sorts of martial arts techniques for effortless strength, moving quickly without missing a beat, and other basic movements. That's how Bighit moves.

Beomgyu's thoughts: Old martial arts moves. That must be what I was feeling.

Yeji: But it's not like they can fly or disappear. They're high schoolers, just like you. They'll fall for fakes, and they'll lose their balance if you catch them off guard. They're playing the same basketball you are. If you play like you always do, it'll work. This isn't over yet.

The game was about to start. Beomgyu went to Taehyun to ask him something.

Beomgyu: Taehyun.
Taehyun: Mm?
Beomgyu: Could you pass me the ball?
Taehyun: What?
Beomgyu: Let me go against Chan again.
Taehyun: Do you have a plan?
Beomgyu: No, but he's only human, too, right? I just have to be faster than him. *walked back to the court*
Taehyun: What are you saying? Are you sure it'll work?
Kai: Probably. He does what he has to do.
Taehyun: Should we leave this to him then?

Back to the game

Beomgyu has the possession of the ball while in front of him was Chan defending him.

Chan: One on one? Bring it on!
Beomgyu: I don't care about your martial arts or whatever. Basketball is basketball!

Beomgyu did a crossover from right to left, got passed chan and he was surprised. When he got passed chan, he drove under the basket and dunked the ball easily.

When he made the dunk Beomgyu remembered something back at the dressing room before the game started.

*Flasback*

Kai: I think this game is important for our seniors to get over the past. So...now that I think about it. I really want to win this game.
Beomgyu: I've never hated basketball, so I didn't understand everything you said...But I definitely understood the last part!

*Flashback ended*

Beomgyu went to Kai and said...

Beomgyu: We will win this game.
Kai: *nod*

While the bench were jumping of happiness that they finally scored.

Hyunsuk: This game's finally getting started.
Asahi: Mhm.

Seokmin: Thats the first time I've seen anyone get past you.
Chan: *laughed* The fun and the pain...are just getting started.

To be continued...