Chapter 8

It was the Salvatore Boarding House. My home, where I should have been living with my brothers. With my family. Rage and fury reignited within when the thought of Stefan Salvatore crossed my mind. Reminding me of my purpose. Reminding me of what I had lost and who was responsible. I had to end him if I wanted to find peace, if I wanted to avenge my dead family. If I wanted their salvation. The longer I let him live the more enraged I felt. The further away finding peace seemed. I stormed forward intent on finishing it tonight. Before I made it to the door I was pulled back. "Motus." I yelled, sending my assailant back.  He a gave a deep bellied laugh. Kol. I looked at him irked. "What are you doing here?!" He slowly rose to his feet, but I flung him back.

"Phasmatos Morsinus Pyrox Allum." I yelled, giving him multiple aneurysms. Causing his blood vessels to pop over and over again, decelerating his healing. He cringed and withered around. I would allow no one to get in my way. Looking back at the house I shot forward.

"Sophia...don't." He materialised, flickering.

I froze. "Enzo?" I shook my head screaming. "Go away Enzo!" I screwed my eyes shut, grasping my head. He was here and as usual stopping me from spiralling. The only difference, I didn't want him here in that moment. I didn't want to hear him. He fell silent and I glanced up, removing my hands from my head. He was gone. I stalked forward, shaking with boiling anger.

"Stop!" Kol pleaded. I whipped around raising my hands throwing another attack. "Hurt me all you want but I will not let you go in there, blinded by rage. Powerful heretic or not, you'll die. I know you can't control your powers. It overtakes you."

My arms fell to my sides, eyes wide, staring back at him. I tried to speak but I just kept fumbling over my words, unable to string a clear sentence. "H-how did you-you-"

"Know" He assisted, sitting up with his legs stretched out before him. "I've been watching you for a while, Sophia Salvatore. I've seen it drain you. Your magic is the most powerful kind I've ever seen. I've seen what you can do-"

I raised my hand, instructing him to stop. "So, you follow me and let me guess, you're going to go and tell Klaus that the witch he's been in search of is here...I'll have to kill you as well then!"

He jumped to his feet, edging closer, peering into my eyes, his expression meaningful. "No, I would never hand you over to my brother. If I wanted to, I already would have done that. I'll protect you and that is why I won't let you go in there." Every fibre in me, every nerve in my body relaxed to his touch as he softly caressed my face. I stood before him, defeated and I detested it.

"Why are you here Kol?" I managed in a small voice.

"I wanted to take you home, but you rushed off. I was a little hurt that you didn't wait for me darling." That mischievous smile burned brighter. He closed the space between us. "And I quite liked the little show you put on...throwing my brother across the floor, well no one has done that in years." His words washed over me. I couldn't focus on anything but the grief that crept back in. "What's wrong?" He asked cupping one side of my face, brushing my cheekbone with his thumb.

My tearful eyes looked into his. "He gets to live despite everything he has ever done! He obliterated my entire family and yet he is still here...in there! Damon knew all along and yet chose him. He took everything from me...I can't even look at him! I can't stand the sight of him! Kol...he doesn't deserve to live...yet-yet he still lives!" I weeped, uncontrollably. It was more than crying, it was the kind of devastated sob that comes from a person drained of all hope. I sank to my knees, not caring about the concrete that slashed at me. My gasping wails echoed around the estate. The pain flowing through me was as palpable as the wind. The only person by my side was Kol Mikaelson. I crashed into his chest as he pulled me into his arms. He held onto me, his hold only growing tighter the more I sobbed. "I can't live in peace knowing he's alive. I will never know peace."