Chapter 14

I sat in the room staring out the window with tears slipping down. Rebekah and my sister-in-laws stood around me, patiently waiting for me to break the silence. Freya remained downstairs to ensure no fights or blood was spilled. They comforted me and apologised over and over again, but I remained silent as they spoke, barely responding at all. Caroline said at first it's hard because it's fresh, but then as the days go by you get stronger, it hurts less. Bonnie promised that I'd find my true soul mate. In an attempt to enlighten the mood, they said I should be with Klaus, it would be the perfect revenge. Rebekah objected as did I. I didn't want revenge. I didn't want Klaus, not in that way. I didn't want anyone. I had never loved in my life, I never let love in and the first time I did, it broke me down bit by bit. It crept up on me, a beautiful illusion until it warped and manifested into an ugly creature. Full of lies and deceit. They continued speaking. All I was for Kol, was a challenge, a competition. To see which brother got me first.

"Sophia, you're allowed to hurt. You can sit here the rest of the night, or you can go down and join the party...see it this way; You came here for a night of dancing, food and fun so you will go down and do exactly that."

"Caroline has a point. I've been burnt several times. I'm a thousand years old and I've had many "The ones" but that never stopped me from wanting to live my life."

I gave it a thought. There was no time to sit around and wallow in my pain. I had things to do, witches to kill, people to save. I could not afford to get distracted. Not over Kol Mikaelson. "Fine, I'll go back down, and I'll dance the night away and have a real good time."

The three of them grinned victorious. They succeeded in pulling me out of my pain, or so they thought. I traipsed to the mirror. Though my eyes were tinged red due to the crying, my make up remained intact and immaculate. Not one single smudge. Not much could be said about my hair, but I managed to tame the loose ends. Straightening my dress, getting my breathing under control, and holding my head high, ready for the rest of the night.

All eyes were on me as I descended down the stairs. Not giving anything away I remained focused, expression fixed as if nothing happened. As if I hadn't been a mess only an hour ago. Klaus awaited me at the bottom with his hand held out, asking for a dance. Reluctant at first, only to then be reminded I'm here for a good time, I took his hand and allowed him to lead me to the dance floor. The intro to War of hearts began as we took the first steps. I rolled my eyes at the song choice. Once again, a poor song choice considering who my dance partner was. This time round, I didn't mind it at all.

"How are you love?" He spun me in his arms.

"I'm great." I pulled away and he pulled me back in, our steps in sync with the music. I couldn't help but think of Kol. The lyrics to the song resonating with my heart and soul.

I can't help but love you. Even though I try not to. I can't help but want you. I know that I'd die without you.

"I know you are hurt love...you do not need to hide it from me."

I can't help but want oceans to part. 'Cause I'm overcome in this war of hearts

Kol overtook my thoughts, my heart, my soul. He was everywhere. I knew he was here dancing with some lady, watching me. No doubt pleased with himself. He got to me before Klaus did. Perhaps it was Klaus I was meant to be with.

He lowered me into a dip, his eyes glued on me. "I will never hurt you." He whispered, sweeping me back up on my feet.

"I love him Klaus. Deeper than anything I have ever felt. Yes, I am hurt but I can't-"

"I'm not asking anything of you. Maybe your companionship if you are willing to. You know I can dagger him and keep him in a box for another century or so, if that suits you." He grinned, playfully.