Chapter 12

Mystic Falls

The Mikaelsons sat around the table, discussing what the best course of action was. Freya had been worried about her family and felt her brothers should have kept the girl within their home. It ensured they would be able to keep a close eye on her. "I still think we should bring her back. Keep her here and make sure she does not act against us." She overlooked the warm feeling she got when she was in the presence of the girl. She disregarded her own feelings. Just like her family, she too felt a connection with the youngest Salvatore.

Elijah stood up and shook his head. "No. We do no such thing. Rebekah has given her word that the girl has no intention of harming our family and she has no knowledge of the witches plotting against us. She will not harm us." He gestured to Rebekah who sat beside him, nodding in agreement. "Perhaps we can work with her and find a means to put this threat to an end?" He waited for his siblings to detest but they didn't. He smiled to himself. The girl was special and had a noteworthy hold on his family.

"We protect her. When I kidnapped her, my intention was to never harm her. I wanted to keep her here, but she will never trust me, if I didn't set her free. Our family has faced many threats and we have survived and reigned triumphant. I wish to protect her. I know the choice I make, is the right choice so if you are with me then-"

"For once, Nik and I are on the same page. We keep her safe. It's all I've done since the day I met her..."

Klaus looked at his brother, his lips curling in amusement. "Kol, you lovesick fool. I warn you, keep your distance."

"Oh yeah brother, and what?" He challenged. "She doesn't trust you in fact she despises of you." He jeered.

He zoomed out his seat, wrapping his hands around his throat. "Is that why I get under her skin...you know I ought to put you back in your box."

Kol shoved him back scowling. "And that will earn you points won't it-"

"ENOUGH!" Bellowed Elijah. "We want the same thing. The safety of our family and Sophia Salvatore. Let us not bicker. Niklaus leave him be." He placed a hand on Klaus's shoulder. "Niklaus, follow me."

Kol glowered as he watched his brothers walk away and ascend up the wide stairs. He turned to face his sisters, meeting their disquieted expressions.

Sophia

I peered into the mirror, looking back at my reflection. Dressed in a black knee length dress. Appropriate attire for a funeral. I straightened the dress. It was Matt's Memorial. He had already been buried. Damon had taken care of it that day. He didn't get a proper funeral, but Caroline helped the committee organise it. I was hesitant at accepting their invitation to the service but after much deliberation I accepted. Not just for Matt but for myself too. I tucked the small jar filled with ashes in my black, glossy cross body bag. The chains felt cool as they rested across my body.

"What are you looking at?" He asked as he entered the room, eyeing me. He leaned forward, mimicking my body language. I glanced over my shoulder and rolled my eyes. When I gave no response, he flopped down onto the bed and continued to badger me with questions. Attending funerals was something I avoided. The atmosphere, the people-everything. Life is a full circle, yet the end was an aspect I ran from. I wasn't afraid to die but what terrified me the most, was the grief and the loss.

"Enzo, why are we going? I don't want to."

He sprung to his feet and crossed over to my side, staring at us in the mirror. "Sometimes attending a funeral helps you acknowledge the reality of death. Whether you are human or not, we all face loss. It also helps you appreciate all that you have." His mouth twitched, into a quick and tender smile. "We're also doing this for Rose and for Hunt. He would want you to be there."