Chapter 45

Sophia

Exactly as Caroline instructed, I set the dinner table using the luxe jade set. The knife and spoon placed on the right and the fork on the left. At the centre of each plate was a tiny Favour box we filled with blue raspberry bonbons. The Pearl white boxes were adorned with misty blue ribbon. Bonnie ran around setting the tall champagne style glasses beside each plate. Just like the Christmas dinner back at mystic falls we all had our assigned seats. Taking a look at my name tag I gave a short, airy laugh. Klaus was to my left and Kol to my right. Caroline clearly enjoyed placing us together. I hid my pain exceptionally well. No one knew what I was thinking or what I was feeling. For them it was a normal day. For me it was special. Stefan lent a helping hand, bringing out the dishes two by two.

Really, I was more content than sad. I will love them forever, I will never stop thinking of them and they will always be in my heart. So I was pleased to be with them, I think that's what truly mattered in the end. It was the best thing.

The aromas in waves, travelled around the room. The candles only added to the glow and the atmosphere was exuberant. I couldn't help but soak in my surrounding.
My sisters went all out with the various of cuisines. Just inhaling in the aroma my stomach grumbled. Unlike of me to get so hungry but I knew I would enjoy this dinner. I took my seat and we waited for the rest of our family to join. Klaus and Kol entered side by side. Spotting their names beside mine they grinned as they swaggered down and took their seats. Taking my hand, Kol planted a sweet kiss on the back. Everyone was here and the family was complete. I counted the heads and realised the empty chair. Laura wasn't here. I had forgotten she went away to see her parents, regardless it was a good way to begin the evening.

"It's great to see us all together after so long." Marcel toasted.

Rebekah raised her glass. "To family."

"To family." We chorused. I smiled, glancing at each and every face, taking them in. They were beautiful and radiant, only adding to the glow of the room. We tucked in, speaking in between every few bites. Laughing and sharing untold stories. We felt like a normal family, no supernatural drama and no death threats. Just one big family savouring every moment. We squabbled, we bantered. As usual my brothers bickered over something I could quite never understand. Marcel listened, amusement crossing his face. He gave his input-siding with Stefan which only riled Damon up.

Theo was missing and I hadn't heard from him since the messages I received prior. I knew it was better for him to be away than be here and he was safe from it all. It still sucked he couldn't be here. Rebekah and Marcel were amazing. She was my best friend, and I knew she would always hold that place in my heart. Marcel, though we met not too long ago became a huge part of my life and my family. He went above and beyond for me. Seeing their love for one another comforted me. Meeting gazes, he grinned and then winked.

Looking to my brothers I was overcome with emotion. The smiles on their faces would forever stay with me. The way they spoke to their wives: so gentle and so full of devotion. The atmosphere buzzed around me. Lively and jovial. When my eyes met Freya, her smile was that of a hug. A hug that held me together. She turned her attention back to Klaus. I smiled as I watched him humour himself. Once upon a time I could have never thought I'd befriend this man yet in the present day he was one of my closet friends and we shared a bond. I possessed love for him. I didn't agree with most of his methods and opinions for that matter, but I couldn't ignore our friendship. I loved him funnily. He sensed being watched so I quickly averted my attention and admired Caroline. Her head rested on my brother's shoulder. I registered that moment. So pure. My brothers were immensely happy. I knew in that very moment I would do anything to protect that and ensure it remained so.