Chapter 28

The vampires huddled close, trailing the map with a finger. "Don't cause too much harm. Just give her a scare." Jameela warned, keeping her finger on the location. "Someone is blocking my spells, making it impossible to reach her...Back to our goal, give her a nice fright. I want to know what she says and how she reacts."

"Got it boss." The female responded. "Let's go boys." Walking away, her swinging arm was caught. The grip on her wrist, burned through her skin. Trying to pry her arm off, her head moved to where the witch stood.

"Remember, if she is harmed in any way, I will kill you myself. Warn your boys." She let the arm go and took off, hips swaying side to side and the click clack of her heels echoing throughout.

The vampire waited before she spoke. Glaring at the door where the witch exited from, she spoke in an arrogant and corrosive tone. "We stick to our original plan." The two vampires gave her a nod but said nothing. "We kill her and have fun with her blood." Her vile smirk, like fire caught onto them.

Sophia

It was mid-May and spring was slowly morphing into summer. In the greenery of the tree was the salvation of the mind, a place to rest old thoughts and gain new perspectives. So our footfalls became our heartbeats. The whispers of the ancient trees were magical. Epping forest was as ancient as time. What was once a hunting ground was now a vast public space with wildlife, greenery, and life. The afternoon sun seeped through the tall trees that poked the clear blue sky. The taste of the earthy air sat on the tip of my tongue. I came to an abrupt stop, halfway into the depths of the woodland. A rider on his horse galloped by, bowing with his head as his eyes met mine. They stopped in their tracks and turned back.

"Sophia, come on then, we have a lot of ground to cover." Laura beckoned.

"I have something to tell you guys."  They eyed me suspiciously as the words left my mouth. Twigs snapped beneath their boots as they stalked back.

"What?" Theo asked, inspecting an oddly crooked twig in his hand.

I held up my left hand, showcasing my ring. "I'm getting married!"

Laura jumped up and down squealing with delight, drawing attention to our group as the passer-by's turned their heads to our direction. She brought my hand closer to her face and her jaw dropped. "That ring looks out of this world! I've never seen anything like it! Kol really loves you.... I am so happy for you!"

Theo pulled me into a bear hug. "Congratulations! I was starting to wonder when you'd settle down!"

Laura jumped again and threw her arms around us. "I am so happy! So when is it? Oh my days...oh my gosh are we invited, what do we wear, what are you wearing ahhh!' She gushed with questions. My eyes flickered to Ethan, wearing a fixed expression.

"I'm getting married in three weeks....so on the eleventh of June!" I said, walking arm in arm with Theo and Laura with Ethan trailing behind us, listening silently.

"When did he ask you?" Theo inquired, more interested than he's ever been in my life.

"Yesterday evening and it was just a little family gathering. And yes, you are all invited...." I trailed off in thought of Amelia. She adored weddings and she would have loved mine. Suddenly the weight of losing her returned.

"Amelia, right?" Laura smiled softly as she too reminisced our fallen friend. We found a log and settled down in deep conversation over Amelia. We laughed and cried a little. I wish I could tell them I saw her, I held her and that I would see her again.

"Theo, Lia would want you to live your life to its fullest. She'd want you to fall in love and do what makes you happy." A tear trickled down his cheek to my comforting words.