building feelings

"Hey chat!" George and Dream said together, laughing as they watched chat start to fly by.

"This is the day you've all been waiting for," Dream grinned as he leaned back in his chair.

George let himself lean back as well. Sweat had begun to gather on his brow, the humidity and warmth of the storm off settling in even though they had the AC up all the way. He swept it away with the sleeve of his hoodie (Dream's hoodie, he mentally corrected).

"Yep, we're actually together right now."

They laughed as chat freaked out.

"Should we turn on facecam?" George asked, just to see their reaction. "You could like, sit out of frame."

"I don't feel like moving," he complained, but still moved over a bit and adjusted the webcam before turning it on.

George smiled at the camera as he watched himself appear on screen.

"Your lighting's pretty shit."

"Any askers?"

George faked being offended, his jaw dropping in "shock." He shook his head, trying to keep from smiling. This was all he could ever dream of, joking around and streaming with his best friend, his favorite person, right by his side.

They played into the bit for a minute or two before letting it die out on it's own. A comfortable silence stretched between them as they read chat.

"What should we do?" He asked, looking over to Dream.

He shrugged. "Minecraft? I don't know anything two player."

"Well we can always get other people to join."

"I want this to be just us," Dream said softly.

George nodded, grinning. "Me too." He felt that same softness again from earlier, that ache for something he wasn't completely aware of. He felt a need to slip into it, the feeling safe and secure yet so deep that he wasn't sure he'd be able to come back out if he tried.

He shook it off and turned back to the computer. He was being watched by thousands of people, after all. He wondered how he looked to them, if he looked the same as he felt. Either way, he knew he'd be seeing clips of that absolutely everywhere after stream.

"Fireboy and Watergirl?" He read from chat, trying to distract himself and change the topic.

"That's a good one," Dream agreed from next to him.

Chat began to spam both Fireboy and Watergirl and SMP. Dream leaned over, careful not to show anything above his shoulders, and ran a poll.

They both leaned back again and watched the votes come in.

Dream took a sip of a fresh can of Mountain Dew. The condensation was still gathered on the outside of the can.

"Can I have some?" George asked after a moment of hesitation. "It's hot in here."

Dream gave a small smile, like there was some sort of a joke there. His stomach flipped with uncertainty, like he'd said something wrong. But Dream handed him the can.

He took a hesitant sip, nervous to put his lips in the same place that Dream had had his.

"You can drink it normally," he teased. "It's not gross or anything."

George rolled his eyes and took a normal sip before passing it back. "Thanks."

"Fireboy and Watergirl?" George read off the poll. It was winning by a landslide.

Dream nodded and moved the keyboard over. George moved a little closer as well so he could be in front of his controls.

The stream went as planned for maybe fifteen minutes. They did have some trouble starting the game, but they soon got into the rhythm of it and started cracking jokes as usual.

Then the donos started rolling in.

A lot of them were the usual stuff-- asking them to say hi to someone, happy birthdays, well-wishes because of the storm, and the odd question. But every once in a while, it would be... something else.

They shouldn't have made George feel the way he did. He knew that. His stomach shouldn't have flipped everytime someone joked about the shared Mountain Dew. And his heart shouldn't have pounded like that everytime Dream played along with chat ("Yeah, George and I are so in love. Right, George?").

Jokingly flirting was a pretty usual part of their shared streams. Hell, there were hundreds of clips and compilations out there just for that. By now, he knew how to perfectly play into it, how to pretend to be the perfect mix of flustered and innocent and confused. But now it felt all too real, the blush on his cheeks reappearing almost every minute and the butterflies in his stomach a constant presence.

The feelings confused and angered him. He didn't know why he felt this way, couldn't understand it. He'd never felt this way before, and certainly never around Dream. It was even worse he couldn't identify them, there was no way to understand them or fix them.

Everything kept building up as they played. Eventually it started throwing George off of his game. It didn't help that the game they were playing kept getting harder as they progressed, and the two things combined left them stuck.

They repeated the same level over and over until it became boring. It was fine, though, their conversation was entertaining enough for chat to be happy. They mostly bantered and rambled about whatever. It helped George ground himself, to try to slip back into the comfort of what their relationship had been before.

"Finally!" Dream cheered as they finally finished the level they'd been stuck on for nearly twenty minutes. George beamed and cheered as well before leaning back in the chair.

"Well--" he said before the lights went out again.

The computer followed after just a second later, leaving them in the dark.