little white lies

"I think I'm pregnant," George announced, half-joking. He threw himself on the couch, across from Dream.

"What?" He looked up from the Switch.

"I'm just joking, idiot."

Dream looked back down at the switch trying to focus but the words kept playing back in his head, he just had to say something, "Do you really think though...I mean like it could be possible, you have been very sick lately..."

"I mean... That makes sense, but do you really think, I was only joking." George said sternly, not even joking now.

They sat there in the silence for a moment, before Dream got up to go feed Patches. George sat there over analysing every sentence that Dream had said, the way he reacted to the thought of George even possibly being pregnant, to the tone of voice, or even the word choice.

"Dream?" George hollered " do you think we could make a quick stop to Rite-Aid? I need to pick something up."

"I swear to god George if it's a god damn pregnancy test.." Said dream walking back down the hallway

"It's not it's something else." He quickly lied. "I want a Mountain Dew."

"George, I have like, 30 cans in the fridge right now." Dream started sounding suspicious.

"I want a blue one."

He grinned. "Vouch, those are the best." He grabbed his thick ass wallet and put on his Adidas Slides. "We can just run to the gas station up the street."

They walked up the street together holding hands.

The gas station was dim inside with LED lights around the top. There was one guy at the counter and he looked really tired.

"Hey man," he said, putting a hand up to wave.

"Hey dude," Dream said back.

"You're friends?" George asked when they got to the coolers in the back.

"Yeah, I used to come up here like, every day." He stood in front of all the Mountain Dews. There were literally more than a dozen flavors.

"Blue one," Dream said, taking a bottle. He hesitated before grabbing a white one for himself. "I'm feeling a little crazy today."

"You want anything else while we're here?" Dream asked, looking around. His eyes stopped at the candy aisle. "Wait, wait, let's make one of those things."

"What?" George said.

"No, wait, it'll be a surprise," Dream said. "I'll grab everything. You get anything else you want. I'm gonna get stuff to surprise you though."

"Alright," George said as he watched Dream hurry off. He was secretly glad for the distraction.

He went over to the last aisle, by the bathrooms. There were cough drops, cans of soup, granola bars...

and pregnancy tests.

George grabbed it, grinning. Then he remembered that to use it, he'd have to pay. And Dream would see it.

Shit.

He carefully looked over at the counter, trying not to make a big deal of it. The man was turned around, messing with the cigarette case, which had a broken door.

George held his breath before stuffing the pregnancy test into his pants.

He moved quickly, circling around the back of the store to the other candy aisle. He grabbed a pack of Reese's because there's four in a bag, he could share that with Dream.

Dream only grinned when they checked out. His arms were full of just random shit.

Back at the house, Dream put everything in the fridge. "Later we can have a party or something. It's gonna be wild."

George half-heartedly cheered from the couch. His stomach was twisting with guilt from stealing.

"You're not even a little excited?" Dream teased from the kitchen, crossing his arms.

George screamed put his hands up.

"There's the spirit!" He grinned.

"I'll be back," George said, hurrying to the bathroom. He couldn't handle it anymore.

He yanked his sweatpants down and grabbed the little box. There were two inside, but he only needed one.

He sat on the edge of the toilet as he waited for it to develop. He felt sicker than ever from the anxiety.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," he muttered to himself. It had seemed so stupid just hours ago. Now... he wasn't too sure.

George grabbed the test to look at it again, his heart stopping.

It was positive.