in this soft space

Dream sighed as he turned the flashlight from his phone on.

"Probably just the storm," he said. "It might come back on again, but I doubt it will for a while. We were lucky to be able to have it for so long earlier, honestly."

"For real," George agreed. His confusion had gone away now, partly because of the distraction the power outage gave him. He also felt considerably calmer without the pressure of being watched by thousands of people real-time.

"It's still pretty early," George said, checking his phone. "Maybe we can find something to do."

"Hopefully," Dream agreed. "I think I might have some old board games, actually. My mom loves them."

"Sounds like a plan, then," George said. He had to be reminded, then, of what it had been like before they went out skating. Everything had been different then, their friendship familiar and safe. Now all George felt was new and strange. There was comfort in the feelings, sure, but the fact that he didn't understand them frankly scared him.

Something changed, he decided. When we went skating.

The more he thought about it, the more it made sense. He replayed it in his mind and found himself being stuck on the memories of Dream guiding him off the floor. Of his strong, comforting arms gently holding him.

The butterflies in his stomach started to reawaken, something deep within him stirring.

A sudden thought came to him along with a feeling of near-overwhelming dread. But no, there was no way, he couldn't--

"George?" Dream interrupted his thoughts, making him jump. His deep voice was laced with concern. "Are you alright?....The storm won't last forever, you know. The power will come back on eventually."

He was confused for a moment before understanding what he was saying. He readily sighed with relief, happy to have an excuse. "Yeah, sorry, I'm just a little nervous in the dark. Especially somewhere I'm not totally familiar with."

"That's alright," Dream said. "I'll stay right next to you. Come on, we'll get the candles. And I'm pretty sure I have Apples to Apples in the hall closet."

"Thank you." He took Dream's hand. It was still surprisingly warm. That or George just had cold hands. He shook his head, trying not to dwell on it.

They went to the hall closet and got everything then went back to the living room. The pillow and blanket were still on the couch from when Dream had used them the night before. George wrapped the blanket around his shoulders after he helped light the candles.

Dream stayed close to George, as promised. Even though the candles lit the room fairly well, he still seemed committed to making George as comfortable as possible.

"Thank you," George said.

Dream paused, looking up from opening the game box with a quirked eyebrow.

"For letting me stay here," he explained quickly. "You're really generous. I appreciate it."

He smiled softly. "Of course, George. My home is always open to you." Of course, they'd both said nearly the same thing around breakfast time. But the reassurance helped George settle a bit more. He let his tensed shoulders relax and fall.

The game went much smoother than the one they'd played earlier. Conversation flowed easily, and George felt much more open and at ease. It was just him and Dream, for now there was nothing to worry about. It was easy to stay in the moment. Things felt just like old times.

Eventually things wound down as the day came to an end. They grew bored with the game and put it away, leaving it under the coffee table.

"I hope my family's alright," George said softly, looking out the dark window. He'd called them that morning to check in, and they'd been doing alright. But things had definitely changed since the morning.

"Me too," Dream said, just as quiet. "... I think they'll pull, through, though. They're strong people."

George nodded, zoning out a bit.

"Are you nervous, George?" Dream asked. His stomach stirred again.

"Just feel a little off," he confessed, still looking away.

"Maybe the Mountain Dew upset your stomach?" It wasn't that far of a stretch, honestly the best guess he could make since he didn't know the full story. "Maybe you should lay down a bit. Or spend some time in the bathroom."

"I think I'll just lay down."

He tried to stay calm as he set himself up on the couch. But Dream's words had been a reminder of a whole new problem.

George had never been able to poop anywhere but home. It was a stupid issue, sure, but he had tried and failed to get rid of it. Gas stations, supermarkets, libraries, the mall, friends' houses. He could only feel comfortable going at his own house and maybe hotel rooms. Even then, he waited a day and covered the seat when he was traveling. There was no way he'd be able to poop here. He wasn't sure how long the storm would last, either. He'd have to keep having it build up for maybe a week.

This was not going to go well.

Dream only nodded, still looking a little concerned. "Well, if you'd like a Pepto or something, you're free to take one."

"Thanks," George said, somewhat awkwardly. There was no way he was telling Dream about his issue. It was way too embarrassing. And there was no point in it, Dream wouldn't be able to fix it.

They talked a little less after that, mostly just sitting and enjoying each other's company for the next few minutes. But soon, Dream had to leave to go to bed. He moved a candle to the coffee table and blew the rest out.

"See you in the morning," he said. "Hope you feel better then."

George nodded. "Goodnight, Dream."

"Goodnight, George." Dream smiled.

Then he went to his room, leaving George alone.