and hidden fears

It took a few tense minutes for George's heart to start beating again.

Positive.

The test is positive.

I'm pregnant.

George leaned over the edge of the sink and squeezed his eyes to hold the tears back. He couldn't describe the emotions he was feeling, the mixture of anxiety and worry... but also, hope and excitement.

He looked down and hesitated before placing his hand over his stomach.

"George?" Dream called from the living room. "It's been, like, twenty minutes. You good?"

"Yeah!" He called back, voice strained. "Just got distracted on TikTok!"

Dream laughed.

George sighed and looked at himself in the mirror. His eyes were wide and fearful.

He shook his head and let out a breath. Then he took the positive test and the box, then put them in the back of a cabinet.

Another deep breath before he flushed the toilet and washed his hands.

He flopped down onto the couch again like usual, trying to play things off.

"So what video kept you in there for so long?"

Anxiety spiked in George's chest. Dream must have seen it, he started cackling.

"No- No!" George said, flustered. "Just- all of them. You know how it is. It's all stupid."

"Mhm."

"Shut up."

Dream laughed one last time before going back to his game-- he was playing on his Switch again.

The rest of the day was, thankfully, refreshing and easy. They ended up playing the Switch together on the TV, then laid together on the couch for a bit.

Dream looked up from his phone around 8. The sun had already gone down, it was dark in the living room besides the TV.

"You wanna order something?"

"Yeah, sure," George said. "Anything's good."

"Chinese? A good place just opened up pretty close."

"That's perfect," he grinned.

Dream nodded and called the restaurant. George slipped into the bathroom while he did.

He had to check on the test. He was attached to it, everything it represented.

He couldn't see it where he left it.

His heart started racing as he pushed different things in the cabinet aside, looking for the little pink box.

It wasn't there.

The test was gone.