VII. Choose Hope

Chapter Seven
Liam

Soroya has been staring at Bucky like he's a bomb just waiting to go off when we least expect it. We've been in the van for some time now, with Soroya sitting near the front with Bucky way in the back. I think she wanted to put as much distance between her and him as possible. There's so much fear and apprehension in her gaze, it's so strange to see. Ever since I met them, those two have been the textbook definition of soulmates, and now they're complete strangers.

"How long has Alex been married?" Soroya asks Jo. She's been questioning us about Alex since we got into the van, about his life in the future. She hasn't asked a single question about her own future. I don't think she's ready to accept that she married the Winter Soldier and had two kids with him. 

"Twenty six years."

"And his husband, he makes him happy? They have a good relationship?"

"Dad once told me that Baba saved his soul," Jo murmurs, letting out a chuckle. "They're very in love. Just like you and Uncle Bucky."

Soroya stiffens, her eyes briefly casting over to Bucky, but quickly focuses back on Jo. "How long have...he...and I been married?"

"The same as my parents. Twenty six years."

"And we have a good relationship?" She asks, sounding like the very concept is impossible.

"Do you want to see for yourself?" Livy asks, gesturing to her Kimoyo Beads. After a couple moments of contemplation, Soroya nods, looking like she's about to enter into battle; apprehensive and on guard.

Livy opens up the cloud storage in her beads, scrolling through the albums until she comes across one filled with videos instead of photos. She clicks on one and presses play, turning the volume up so we all can hear, even Bucky, who's attention is also now on the beads. The video Livy chose was filmed a few months ago, in the dance studio Soroya has in the basement of their house. Soroya is dragging Bucky inside the studio in this video, a mischievous smile on her face.

"Come on, it will be fun."

"I'll look ridiculous."

"It's just us."

"Us and the camera you have filming us."

Soroya cups Bucky's cheek, placing a soft kiss on his lips. "I lost so many videos and pictures from my childhood, so many memories I won't be able to relive. I want to make sure I don't miss opportunities to capture moments like this."

Bucky stares down at Soroya and then sighs. "Alright. But you'll have to show me what to do."

Soroya almost jumps with joy. She leaves him standing in the middle of the room and heads over towards the stereo, flipping through different songs before settling on a Dua Lipa song.

"Just you and me." She repeats, coming back over towards him, placing her hands on his hips, pulling him closer to her, beginning to sway him side to side. He rests his hands on top of hers, watching her intently, his eyes never leaving her for a second. As the beat picks up, Soroya pulls him against her chest, grabbing onto one of his hands, interlacing her fingers with his. The two of them continue to sway from side to side, with Bucky dipping her once the chorus kicks in, letting out a deep laugh upon seeing her smile. Bucky gets more confident, letting go of her and spinning her out towards the wall of mirrors, then bringing her back towards him, her back now pressed against his front. He resumes their swaying like this, with his hands on her hips, his lips close to her ear. He whispers something that we can't hear, but whatever he said makes Soroya blush.