XIV. Lost Time

Chapter Fourteen
Soroya

We were able to download the data from Camp Lehigh without any difficulty. The consciousness of Arnim Zola imbedded in the computer system was quiet talkative, but he was swiftly introduced to Khari's spear. And just to be safe, we burned the bunker he was housed in. It's safe to say Zola is dead for good.

Bruce had stayed behind to watch over my parents, so when we returned to Stark Tower, he was able to upload the information we acquired onto the internet, just like Nat did in our time. HYDRA has officially been exposed to the world. That's bound to change things in this timeline, maybe even more so than Loki stealing the Tesseract. The lives of our past counterparts will especially be changed. Our lives aren't their futures anymore. Their futures are whatever they make them to be, and I know they'll figure things out and find happiness just like we did.

A couple hours after we made it back to the tower, the others arrived. HYDRA had drugged young Alex and me as well as Livy and Stevie, so the four of them were carried out via Jo's forcefields. It was...odd, surreal to see a younger version of us. I really don't know what to make of it. Younger Bucky had to be carried out too, rendered unconscious by what must have been an intense fight. My Bucky looks just battered, needing to use Steve to walk off the ramp. My breath catches when I see him, as does Khari's next to me. They both walk towards us, and I force myself to look at Bucky, to inspect how serious his injuries are.

"I'm fine, sweetheart, really." He assures me, though I'm not convinced.

My eyes fall back to Steve, and I find his eyes are looking right back at me. I find my voice after a couple more seconds of processing all of this, that he's here, that he's alive. "I don't know how much the kids told you—"

"They told me enough. I know I was killed many years ago in your timeline. They told me I died in your arms."

I feel my throat tighten, tears stinging my eyes. "You did," I place my hand on Khari's shoulder, gesturing to him with a tilt of my head. "This is Khari, Jo's other father. We were both there when you died. The three of us grew close after...well it's complicated, I'll explain that later. We were close with Nat too, though we weren't there for her when she died. I'm glad we were for you though. I'm glad you didn't have to go through it alone."

Steve looks pretty uncomfortable talking about his own death, but he nods all the same, as if in thanks for doing him that kindness. He then takes Bucky inside to get his injuries checked out, leaving my eyes to wander towards where Zy and Lee stand. I break out in a run, Khari just behind me. When we reach them, we swallow them in our embraces, releasing cries and laughs of joy and relief. After some time I pull away from them, cupping their faces in my hands, thanking god over and over again that my kids are safe, that they're all safe.

Alex, who has gotten off the ship, joins in on the hug as well, saying in a cheery voice: "Someday we'll look back on this and laugh."

"Doubtful." Lee mumbles against my shoulder.

Younger me and Alex, Stevie, Livy, and both Bucky's are being tended to by Tony, Bruce, and J.A.R.V.I.S in one of the office rooms. While we wait for them to be finished, Alex and I spend some time with our parents. Khari joins us as well, and he makes easy conversation with them both, joking and complimenting with them like they have known each other for years. Alex lights up as he sees Khari get along with our parents, I know this is a big deal for him. For me as well. This is how it should have been from the beginning; our parents apart of our lives and the lives of the family we've built. I'm glad Khari gets to have a relationship with our parents even if it won't last forever. I'm glad they got to meet the kids, to meet Bucky properly. I'm glad Alex and I get a chance to say a proper goodbye to them, when the time comes for us to leave.