VIII. Family

Chapter Eight
Liam

Our wedding reception is being held in what we call "the party room" inside the palace. There's tables and chairs for people to sit at, a long table covered with food and sweets made by Jade and Sam, and a music station handled Shuri, who is playing mostly pop and rap music, just like Stevie loves. The only songs not in those genres she's played are 'Reflecting Light' by Sam Phillips, which Stevie and I danced to for our first dance as a married couple, and what Stevie called 'the classic wedding songs'; 'Cha Cha Slide', 'Cupid Shuffle', and 'The Macarena'. Stevie insisted all guests dance to those three songs, including Bucky, who detests modern music and only dances when Soroya makes him. Watching him attempt the choreography of all three songs has been a highlight of the party. Alex can't stop laughing about it. Honestly neither can I.

My parents didn't engage in the dancing, nor have they taken part in any conversation or eaten anything. They've just sat a table by themselves, watching me and the others have a good time. Part of me feels guilty, and another part of me is angry they're wallowing in self pity at my wedding, the most important day of my life. Couldn't they just pretend to be happy for me?

"Should I go talk to them?" I ask as I finish off my beer, my eyes glued to the table they still quietly reside at.

Stevie, who is sitting next to me with a beer of his own, shrugs. "Up to you, Babe. It's your wedding, you can do as you please."

"Even though I'm angry with them...I don't know, I still want them to have a good time."

"Of course you do," Soroya says, handing Stevie and I both fresh beers as she sits back down in her seat across from us. Bucky's in the seat next to hers finishing off a glass of bourbon. "But I doubt anything will change their tune and make them have fun. They're surrounded by people they don't understand and hold a lot of resentment for—"

"And who hold just as much resentment towards them." I finish for her.

Soroya, being Soroya, begins to object. "None of us hold any ill will towards your parents, we like them just fine. Right, Liebchen?"

Bucky chokes on his drink, and through a fit of coughs, agrees with her. "Of course we like them. What's not to like?"

After being in HYDRA for all those years you'd think they'd be good at lying. "You don't have to say that just to spare my feelings. I know you only tolerate them for me, and you have no idea how much it means to me that you try to be kind and welcoming to them despite how you feel about them."

Soroya smiles, but it's not a happy one. "I would try to go over there and brighten their spirits, but I would only make things worse. After all, we're the reason they're so upset."

"Don't blame yourself, Mom. This fight we're in was bound to happen eventually. The incident you guys had while we were gone may have sparked the flame to burn the house, but the house was already covered in gasoline."

"My husband the wordsmith." Stevie mumbles as he takes another sip.

"Inevitable or not, we're sorry we—no, that I—caused you to fight with your parents," Bucky says solemnly, his regret and remorse palpable. "Lena wasn't at fault, it was me. I lost my temper and—"

"Dad, stop, please," I plead, reaching across the table and resting my hand on his forearm. "It's okay, really. You were angry on my behalf, you were defending me—that means a lot to me. I mean it. Please don't feel guilty. I'm honestly glad I finally had it out with my parents."