II. The Hunter

Chapter Two
Soroya

It's well past noon when I wake up alone in bed, with the scent of something burning filling my nose. I'm confused only a second before Bucky walks into the bedroom, wearing nothing but a pair of boxers, carrying a plate of eggs and toast with strawberry jam. I sit up as he approaches, tucking the bed sheet around my bare body. He sits down on his side of the bed and kisses my cheek, placing the plate on my lap. The eggs and toast look perfect, which begs the question where the burning smell is coming from.

Bucky seems to know what I'm thinking because he explains: "I had a nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to make you breakfast in bed. But I realized that I've never made breakfast in this century before, so I watched a video online about how to make scrambled eggs and toast with a stove and toaster. The eggs were easy, the toast was hard. What's on your plate is the fourth attempt, the previous three are blackened crisps."

I feel my heart squeeze tightly in my chest, and I can't wipe away the smile that spreads on my lips. "This is one of the sweetest things anyone's ever done for me. Thank you, Liebchen."

Bucky beams at my comment, leaning in to kiss me again, this time on my forehead. "Of course."

"What was your nightmare about?" I ask, taking a bite of the toast, then tearing it in half to share with him.

Bucky eats the corner of his piece of toast then says: "It was about you getting taken by Analiese Remington. In my dream we found you in the woods after we followed your Kimoyo Bead's tracking beacon and we were too late..." He trails off, taking another bite of toast.

I set the plate aside and move closer to him, cupping his face in my hands, urging him to look at me with strokes of my thumbs. After a sigh from him, his eyes meet mine.

"You weren't too late. I'm here."

He sighs again, wrapping his hands around my wrists. At first I think he's going to pull my hands away, but he doesn't, he just keeps hold of my wrists and nods slowly. "I know. I just hate how many times we've been separated from each other, how many times we've almost lost each other...and I hate that my dreams remind me of it."

I pull my hands away from his face and instead grab onto his hands, kissing his knuckles. "The past is the past. We're together now. You're my husband and I'm your wife. We're bound together forever, and we will continue to fight for that forever."

Bucky shudders as he takes in a deep breath, a longing lookfilling his gaze as he says: "Say it again."

I know what he means, and it make me smile again. "I'm your wife."

He leans his forehead against mine, a smile of his own spreading on his lips. "I love hearing those words. I'll never get tired of them."

I let out a chuckle. "I'll make sure to tell you daily."

He kisses my nose. "I'll hold you to that."

-

After we finish eating breakfast and get dressed, we venture out of the cabin and into the forest surrounding it. I wanted to see the beauty of the area first hand, as well as hunt like I mentioned to Bucky yesterday.