IV. Co-Workers

Chapter Four
Bucky

"We're not going to hurt you," Sam promises. "We just want to talk."

The Flagsmasher's hostage looks utterly frightened, her back pressed against a giant oak tree, her hands shaking as they press into the dirt beneath her. She nods to Sam, but her eyes are on Walker and Hoskins, the former of which is staring at her in a interrogative manner.

"What's your name?" I ask her.

"Jade Rosales." Even her voice is shaking.

"You used to be apart of HYDRA?"

She nods. "Not by choice."

Something we all have in common.

"Tell us how the Flagsmashers got you, Jade." Lena's voice is kind, her expression inviting and warm. She is bent down to be at her level, as is Sam. Walker is standing a few feet away, his arms crossed over his chest, scowling. I realize I've been in a similar position and making a similar expression, so I now make an effort to present myself a little more loose. I bet I look as aggressive as he does and that very thought makes my skin crawl. Hoskins is leaning against a tree next to Walker, his expression full of pity for Jade, for all that she's been forced to do.

Lena may have asked the question, but Jade looks to Sam as she answers. "When HYDRA fell, a scientist who worked for them named Wilfred Nagel took me captive. He wanted to replicate the serum HYDRA had given me when I was taken as a teenager."

"A serum that did what?" Walker's voice sounds even harsher than his expression looks.

Jade flinches when she hears his tone. "I-I can heat up the molecules in the air to explode."

That would certainly explain the explosions the Flagsmashers have left in their wake. Sam gives Jade an encouraging smile and gestures for her to continue on.

"Nagel wasn't only trying to replicate my serum, he was trying to replicate others too. The Flagsmashers learned about some of the serums he was making and broke into the facility he was working in. They knocked him out, took a case of the super soldier serum he made then took me. I've been their hostage ever since."

Lena glances at me and gives me a grave look, one I'm sure I'm mirroring. The Flagsmashers we met today were incredibly strong, fast, and agile. I had suspected they had powers of some kind, but the super soldier serum? That's definitely not ideal. Especially if they have more vials.

"How did Nagel make the serum?" I ask her, my voice sounding a little frantic, which makes her more nervous.

"I-I don't know. And I don't know specifically where his lab was. All I know is that it was in Madripoor."

Why doesn't that surprise me? I glance at Lena and see the same thought cross her expression. "Do you know where the Flagsmashers are?" She asks.

Jade shakes her head. "No. I'm sorry I-"

Lena reaches forward and touches her hand, making Jade tense up. Lena smiles though and she relaxes a little. "Don't apologize. None of this is your fault."

Now Jade's eyes land on Walker. "Are you going to arrest me?"

Before Walker can answer, Sam replies: "No. We're going to keep you safe, I promise. No one will lock you up or use you for your powers again. I'll make sure of it."