Chapter 17

"Oh," Blaise spoke, "hi." Ron walked over and sat down on a large rock breaking through the snow. Ron inhaled, preparing himself for the conversation: "Can we try not to make this awkward?" He was surprised by how direct his own words were seconds after they were spoken. "I mean, it's going to be awkward, I know that. But we can still act normal in the same room, right?" Ron asked.
"It's only been a few days," Blaise explained, "is it really possible in such little time?"
Ron stated, "I don't know Blaise, but we can't keep avoiding everyone because of this." Blaise looked up at him and asked: "Do you honestly think we could be normal again? That we could put this behind us and be friends?"

If Ron was truly honest with himself- he wasn't sure, but he knew there was only one right answer, even if it all turned out to be a lie.

He didn't know much about the future- the trio always seemed to get themselves into a new dangerous situation every year- but this was different; with that they always had an objective, a task they needed to do. With Blaise, with everything right now, it was different. All he knew was the present. He knew that he couldn't keep avoiding his friends, and he knew that befriending Zabini was the only solution he could conjure up.

"....Yeah, we can't pretend that it all just didn't happen, but I think if we tried we could be friends." Ron replied.
Blaise concluded: "Ok. I think it's worth a try." They were silent for a moment before Ron opened his mouth to speak again. "I kind of just left my friend to come talk to you and everything, so I need to get back." Ron stated, "Bye."
"See you Weasley." Blaise smiled slightly.

Walking back down the hill- Ron caught up to Harry, who was standing, back against a nearby tree: "Any developments?"
Ron informed, "We're going to actually try to be friends."
"So, you were talking about Blaise," Harry prompted.
"Oh yeah," Ron enquired, "so you're- fine with it?"
"Oh I'm over that whole deatheater thing-besides, you said he's not one anyway." He answered.
"Actually I didn't-" Ron hesitated, "I meant, you know, that-"
"You mean because he's a guy?" He chuckled, "i forget that you're just as oblivious as me sometimes. I'm bi. Besides, gender is literally just a social construct anyway." Ron looked in awe at him, he wasn't sure Harry was capable of such- advanced thinking. He saw Ron's expression and explained: "Hermione gave me a book."
"Now that makes sense." Ron responded, "so why did you tell Hermione and not me?"
"She figured it out fourth year, I had a crush on Cedric, you know, before-" Harry cut himself off and looked away, "I guess I just never got around to telling you, I kind of thought you already knew; everyone else does."
"Well I feel like a right idiot now." Ron laughed.

They walked back down the path, neither really paying attention to where they were going. "There's the others. I guess we should go join them now." He motioned over to where the rest of the group were standing.
"Didn't you want to avoid Malfoy?" Ron questioned.
Harry concluded, "I guess If you can hang out with your ex I can suck it up and deal with Malfoy."
"Fair point." Ron agreed.

They walked over to the group, who had now seen them and joined the conversation. Something about what had happened in potions? Ron didn't take that class so he was a bit clueless to the situation; he didn't mind. He just liked being included regardless.

Maybe this would work out for once. Maybe being Blaise's friend wouldn't be so bad.