| Prologue |

Monica Watson was a scientist, with 6 Ph

Monica Watson was a scientist, with 6 Ph.D.'s, who worked alongside Dr. Bruce Banner also known as her best friend. Her thick, shoulder-length, hazel brown hair was pulled out of her face and into a messy ponytail with strands of hair falling from it, framing her face. She wore a black v neck shirt that was tucked into a matching pencil skirt, her id card pinned to the waistband of her skirt.

Removing her glasses from on top of her head she placed them back on her face. In her hands, Monica held papers that were covered in notes from the past four years.

Four years ago General Ross came to Culver University in Willowdale Virginia to speak with her and Dr. Banner asked them to recreate something, but he never informed them of what it actually was. The two, along with Betty Ross, started their research on September 13th 2001, Monica was only 20 when the project started she was now 24.

Monica never shared her opinion on the General. She didn't like him very much or the way that he acted and after he'd come to them she had problems trusting him, but she kept to herself. The only one that knew she felt this way was Bruce Banner, she never told him, he just knew.

Her heart started to beat faster as she put down the papers. Picking at the skin around her long, painted nails she watched anxiously as her coworker got strapped to the table. They were finally testing their research and Bruce volunteered to be tested on.

Her long, white lab coat, which stopped at the back of her knees, swayed behind her as she walked over to him. Not meeting Bruce's eyes, Monica tightens the straps around his left wrist. She could tell he was nervous, she noticed how his heart rate had picked up just like hers and how his chest was rising and falling quickly.

She let out a shaky breath, "Bruce," she started, finally looking her best friend in the eyes. "I still don't think this is a good idea." She told him. The male scientist frowned at his coworker.

"Mon-"

"I stick by what I said Bruce," she told him, "We have no idea what this is for or what this can do. Ross has told us nothing. Jack shit." She glanced over at General Ross who stood on the other side of the glass next to his daughter, Betty Ross who was dating

Monica took a deep breath before continuing, "I don't care if it's because of the government that he can't tell us. What if something goes wrong? What happens if you get seriously injured? Killed even! You're my best friend Bruce, I don't want to lose you. What about Betty? She's your girlfriend."

Bruce held Monica's worried gaze, not even thinking of looking away. This was one of the things he liked most about her. The brunette always put her friends and family before herself. It was a good and a bad thing sometimes.

"Mon, I promise-"

"Robert Bruce Banner, don't promise me shit if you can not guarantee me that you will be fine." She cut him off, salty tears filling her eyes. His eyes followed as one rolled down her face, dripping on her arm.

"I know you don't like promises, Mon, but it's just a risk that we're gonna have to take." He told her. Monica shook her head side to side, biting her bottom lip.

"No, no it's not-"

"Yes, it is."

"Doctor Watson," a voice called from behind. Looking over her shoulder, Betty stood with her father in the doorway that separated the two rooms. "It's ready."

Monica didn't speak, she only gave them a small nod. Meeting Bruce's eyes one last time she sent him a sad smile, gripping onto his hand. His hand gripped back.

"What's the meaning of life?" He asked under his breath before she left. It was a game they would play in the lab, where they had to ask each other questions until the other got stumped. Whoever could answer the most questions won.

Monica laughed slightly, looking down at their hands, "To give life meaning-"

"No, technically-"

"Technically it's 42."

"I can never beat you." He muttered, letting go of Monica's hand. Her smile grew but fell quickly when she backed out of the room. Bruce's words from before echoed in her brain. Standing next to Betty the two girls gave each other a reassuring look.

Whatever this was, if it worked, it would be the breakthrough of their careers.

"Test subject, Doctor Bruce Banner. Age 36. Date, October 5th 2005." Betty said, speaking to the recorder. "Starting in 3, 2, 1..." Betty pressed a button on the board in front of her. All the excitement started, a green light casting over Bruce's pale skin.

It felt as if her heart was being ripped from her chest as she watched. She wanted to look away but she couldn't. She held her breath, crossing her fingers things would go right. So far everything was going to plan but wishing never got anyone, anywhere. Monica, along with General Ross and Betty, were blasted across the room by a large explosion.

She was right. She knew something was going to go wrong.

The brunette let out a scream of pain as her head came in contact with the hard stone wall. Monica fell to the ground, landing on her back. Her vision was blurry and there was a loud ringing noise traveling through her head. It hurt so badly. Everything was in pain.

Faintly, through the ringing in her ears, she could hear the painful screams from Bruce that strangely became deeper but still made her heart shutter. She also heard talking, muffled talking from who she believed to be General Ross but she was too tired to figure it out.

Even with the small amount of glass in her eyes, she could still see the amber flames that quickly surrounded the room, the mix of grey and green smoke and a giant outline of what looked to be a person. Betty laid, already unconscious, only an arms reach away from her.

Monica's eyes grew heavy, but she fought to stay awake. She needed to keep them open. She needed to get out of there but she couldn't move. It hurt so much. A tear slid down her cheek and into a cut on her jaw, but she didn't feel the sting of the salty tear landing in a fresh, open wound.

The pain and her tiredness were finally taking over. Her breathing slowed and her blinks became longer. The last thing she remembered from that day, before she fell unconscious, was a pair of glowing green eyes staring down at her and a loud roar.

October 5th 2005 was a day that Monica was never going to forget. Two people died that day in the explosion. Both her and Betty were in the hospital for months. And that was the day her best friend went missing for five years.