| 23 |

Monica wanted nothing more than to be a mother

Monica wanted nothing more than to be a mother. She loved children. She loved her children and finally having them in this world, being able to hold them. The thing that she didn't love, or wasn't prepared for was, the zero sleep she was getting. They had been home from the hospital for a while... a few months actually.

The first night back from the hospital was probably the easiest. But after that, the sleepless nights were endless. Either one twin was dead to the world and the other was crying his eyes out, or they were both crying their eyes out and you didn't know what was wrong, and they wouldn't settle until the early hours of the morning.

The couple had put the twin's cribs in their room after reading a lot of comments saying that babies shouldn't be in their own room until at least 6 months. Studies have shown that when babies are close by it reduces their changes of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, and Monica being a scientist herself, was not going to disagree with research.

The other thing that bugged her was the fact that her boobs have grown two sizes and were always sore. However, that detail did not bug her husband. Clint did, in fact, think that was the cherry on top. The sacrifices you make as a mother, am I right?

Mary, Monica's friend back in New York, had been around. It was her first time at the safe house as well as meeting the twin for the first time. She cried when she held them for the first time and she cried even more when Monica asked her to be their godmother. They were going to ask Natasha, but seeing that she worked in the same field of work as Clint, the redhead turned down their offer. Respectively. However, she did settle for having one named after her.

After about a month at home, Clint was forced back to work. Monica was okay with it, it was his job after all, but looking after Jason and Charlie on her own was hard. During that time, other people had visited. Fury being one of those people, nevertheless, he tried to hock his reasoning on Maria as she was visiting with him. Monica knew better than to question him, and no matter how much he denied it, she'd stand by what she saw. Fury smiling at the twins.

Something she had noticed, spending so much time with her babies, is that they were completely different. There was only a small noticeable difference in their appearance. For example, they had the same face, Charlie's hair was slightly darker than Jason but they still both had brown hair. The thing that was completely different where their eyes, Charlie had Clint's eyes. The beautiful sea blue that Monica had fallen in love with back when they first met. Jason had Monica's warm, honey-brown eyes. Looking at him was like looking at old baby photos of herself.

Their personality was also different. Monica had seen that Charlie was more relaxed than his brother. He was easier to put to sleep, and he cried less. He still cried buckets of tears but just not the same as Jason. Speaking of, Jason was more active. He liked playing with all his toys, babbling to himself at the top of his lungs, while his brother would just lose himself in a daydream or stare at the TV like it was the most interesting thing ever. Which, to a newborn baby, who be the most interesting thing ever.