| 18 |

One month later

One month later.

Monica sat on the rim of her bathtub. She stared down at two, white, plastic sticks in her hand. She let out a shaky sigh her eyes glued to the pink double lines on one and the bold writing on the other.

'Pregnant'

Closing her fist around the pregnancy tests, she hunched over, her elbow resting on her knees, hands pushing against her forehead. It was a lot to take in. Yes, she had always dreamed of being a mother. Wondered what it would be like to be and hoped that one day she would have her own family to love and care for. But, on the other hand, she'd only been going out with Clint for a few months. Was it really a good idea to be having a child this early in their relationship?

It had been a few weeks since Obadiah went mad and since Tony had come out to the public as the superhero 'Iron Man'. Clint was still at work when this event played out. Leading up on a mission report, when Natasha turned on the news and the first thing they saw was part of Stark Industries in flames. Flashing red and blue lights from police cars and ambulances.

It send Clint over the edge when his phone binged. A text message of a location appeared on the screen, it was from Monica. Stark Industries was the location. He took the first chance he got to leave work. He waited, leaning against his car. The era was tapped off, news reporters were spread out in a line, the flames from the building in the background of their shots.

Clint felt a part of his heartbreak when he saw Monica walking towards him. Ash on her face and clothes from the large explosion. She walked straight up to him, buried her face in his chest as his arms wrapped around her shoulders, not saying anything but a mumbled "Thank you,"

"Are you okay?" He had asked her, placing his chin on the crown of her head. She nodded against his chest. "You're not hurt?" moving her head away from his chest, she stared up at him, shaking her head.

"Doctors gave me a look over, said I'm ok. Just some bruises, nothing to worry about." she'd told him. Clint placed his lips against her forehead.

Now she was sitting on the edge of her bathtub, two sticks in her hand, pregnant.

"Mon?" Clint's voice called from the opposite side of the bathroom door, pulling Monica away from the thought in her head. "Monica? You okay in there, baby? You've been in there for a while." he spoke again.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I'll be out in a second." She replied, standing up from where she sat. She placed the tests down, and look at her face in the bathroom mirror. Turning on the tap, she cupped her hands under the running water, before splashing it on her face. The water droplist rolled down her face, dripping from the tip of her nose as she continued to lean over the sink. Drying her face with a towel, she hid the test under the waistband of her leggings.

Clint leaned against the wall, next to the bathroom door, waiting for her to come out. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the door creak open, seeing the light flick off in the bathroom as Monica excited. A tired look sat on her face.