| 21 |

A week later

A week later

Monica lay in bed, her head resting on Clint's chest. Buddy was fast asleep at the foot of the bed, tired after running in the open field most of today. Clint's warm hand was planted on her stomach, curved around the small pump that had formed. He still couldn't believe they were having twins, that she's accepted his proposal, heck he couldn't believe that anything had happened in his life. It was like Monica was unreal, she was everything he could have ever wanted.

As she moved her head, Monica brought Clint away from his thoughts. He glanced at her, meeting her eyes before looking back at the roof. Monica stared at the side of his face. Her gaze traced his jawline when she noticed a small grey thing in his ear.

"Are you wearing your com... in bed?" Monica asked Clint as they continued two lay together in silence. Clint scrunched his nose, his eyebrows frowning together. His hand reached up and touched his ear.

"No?" He replied, dragging out the 'o'. Monica placed her hand on his face, stopping him from looking at her, as she held her head still. She looked at the little, tiny even, thing in his ear. She'd never noticed it before. "What are you doing?" Clint asked.

"Is it a tracking chip or something?" Monica mumbled to herself.

"No?" Clint repeated,

"Have you always had this? Or is it new?"

"Yes. I have always had it."

"How come I haven't noticed it before?" Monica said, sitting up in bed. Her back slopped against the headboard, both hands resting on her stomach as she looked down at the blonde man. "What is it?"

"You haven't noticed it because it's meant to be hidden," Clint explained, "It's, uh, a um hearing aid," He told her, tilting his head back, he meet to gaze. He waited for Monica's response. It was kinda a big thing, yet, he'd never mentioned it before. Mainly because he wanted to forget about that part of his life.

"You're deaf?" Monica questioned.

Clint nodded his head, "80%, for as long as I can remember." He explained, taking out the tiny hearing aid so it sat in the middle of his palm. The world around him went quiet, but he continued to talk anyway. "Fury got someone to make me these back when I first joined. They're meant to be small, unnoticeable so that whoever we're up against won't know it's a weakness. They connect to my coms."

Monica nodded along to his words. Staring at the small hearing aid in the palm of his hand. When he finished talking, he'd put it back into place. She was amazed. She'd never noticed.

"I'm really good at reading lips, thanks to all the practice over the years. I know Sign language too." Clint continued, "Sorry, I didn't tell you."

"I don't mind," Monica told him, "I think it's cool, actually. It's skill and it's a part of who you are. It makes you unique."