29. The Adoption

"Ohho Raghav! You're always losing on purpose. You aren't playing with a baby, are you?" asked Sita, pouting adorably.

"Your expressions make you look like you are a baby, Sita," he said, smiling charmingly, while she protested.

"No! I'm not a baby! And besides, why do you always want to lose? You can never lose, Ram. You're invincible," she said.

"I'm invincible against anybody, but you, Siya," he said, as she smiled at him shyly.

"But you can't always keep losing! Not even in chausar!" she repeated.

"Why can't I? You're so good that I-"

"You lose on purpose. Raghav, I know you! Why do you want to lose?"

"Oh God! You and your favourite devar, both of you don't have anything else to say. Lakshman is also always saying that I lose on purpose!"

"Which means you are! He doesn't lie,"

"So I do, Sita?" he asked, fake hurt showing in his eyes.

"No, Ram! Oh no, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that!" she said apologetically.

"Ohh Sita, you're so adorableeeeee!" says Rama, and pinched both her cheeks.

"I'm leaving!" she said, as she walked towards the balcony.

"Leaving, Madame?" he asked teasingly. "So my queen is upset, isn't she?" he said, holding her chin upwards.

"Yes, I'm upset! Raghav you're always losing like this, unnecessarily! Why?"

"Arre Sita, I thought people would get upset if they lost, but you're getting upset that I lost!" said Rama.

"Raghav you make up my heart and soul, and I can never see you lose," she said. "You should never lose, Ram, you never should. You never can. You never will,"

★★★

"The brush shouldn't be held so loosely, Maan!" he said. "Detailing should be done with firmer, more stiff hands,"

"Okay, but this gold paint is getting a little over the top na," she said, looking at it disgustedly.

"Umm whatever. Now leave that brush, and come here,"

"What is it?" she asked.

"I'm in a mood for a little duel with you. I want to show you that I'm better than you at sword-fighting," he said, smiling at her.

"I'm better than you anyway. Why would you even want to challenge me, Mr. Bharat?" she asked, putting her folded right arm's elbow on his shoulder haughtily.

"No, I am better than you!"

"Ab bolo na," she said, stuffing a large sized motichoor laddoo in his mouth, giggling sweetly, as he looked at her making an expression of being absolutely innocent, looking ever-so adorable. ("Why don't you speak now?")

"Mandavi, you are such a cheater!" he shouted in a muffled voice, before he found himself bursting out into chuckles, as he saw his wife making fun of him.

★★★

"Mila! Where are you?" asked the older Saumitra, as he entered the room, only to find it dimly lit with just a couple of diyas, and his wife nowhere in the room, as he thought.

In walked a woman, dressed in an off white crepe saree, as her thick hair, left open, flew around by the breeze.

"Looks like you're in the mood for a fancy dress contest, Mila! You should enroll yourself for one. We used to have it at Gurukul, only until we were eight or nine though," he says, putting in fake sadness