34. To The Jungle

"Lakshman?" she said tearily. "Y-you're leaving now?"

"Sorry Maa, I am really sorry," he cried, grasping Sumitra's feet tightly as she felt nothing but sorrow.

"That's okay, Laksh. Don't cry! My Lakshman shouldn't be crying like this now, should he?" she smiled. "Did you go and see Pitashree?"

"No Maa! And I do not want to see him. W-Why did he have to agree to those demands? I-It's not fair!" he complained, his tone sounding childish.

"Laksh, please, just go and meet him once? For me, okay? He is your father, and he has done all of this unwillingly. Do you realise how grieved he himself is, right now? I don't even know if he knows that you're going along too. Please go and tell him, Laksh. Please,"

★★★

"Pranam, Pitashree," he said rather coldly, not maintaining eye contact with Dasharatha.

"Lakshman, why are you wearing clothes of this sort? Why, Lakshman? Y-You're not going anywhere, are you?" cried the king weakly.

"I'm going with Ram Bhaiya, Pitashree. I'm going to Dandaka with him,"

"Why Lakshman? Why? Don't go! In fact even Ram shouldn't go!" cried the king as Lakshmana's eyes darted to his father pitifully and guiltily at the same time. "I told Ram that he should revolt against me and take the throne for himself, but he doesn't agree with me. Lakshman, will you please revolt against me, please Lakshman, please? Please, Lakshman! This throne is his, Lakshman, it's his..."

"He won't revolt. He won't let me do it either. Pitashree, I'm sorry, but I'll need to leave now. Please bless me, Pitashree," he said, sniffling as he tried to control his tears. His father, one of the most prominent emperors of Bharatvarsh, was helplessly crying for somebody to revolt against him. Not even somebody. He was begging his very own sons to do so, thanks to the witch who existed in their family, or at least that was what everybody thought.

"Lakshman, don't go! Who do you think will take care of your father in such times? Ask Ram to stay back! H-He can't deny when you ask him. N-No, he won't!" said the king, smiling hopefully through his unending tears.

"I've already tried Pitashree, he won't listen. I-I am sorry, please let me go now. Pranam, Pitashree, pranam!" he completed, touching his feet, before rushing out of the room only to break down into tortured sobs, which he couldn't do before his father because it would most definitely only deepen his wounds to see his most mentally strong boy, his son, crying inconsolably in front of his very eyes.

★★★

"Leave now, will you?" said Kaikeyi cruelly, as Sita turned to Rama in confusion.

"Where is Laksh?" asked Rama to Sumantra.

"He had gone to meet Maharaj. He should be- ah there!"

"Lakshman, can we leave?" asked Rama, a serene smile which however irritated Lakshmana.

"Please, Bhaiya, stop smiling. And yes, we can leave." Saying thus and seeking blessings from their mothers, including Kaikeyi, they left for Dasharatha's room. Taking leave from him, they went to Urmila.

"Urmi," said Rama, as she turned around to see him.

"J-Ji, Bhaiya?" she asked, smiling at him.