71. Lanka Ablaze

Hanuman walked into the court with not too much difficulty of any sort. A standard, long and narrow red carpet was spread on the marble floor, leading to the stairs and the platform that held the King's throne higher than the ground.

Hanuman looked up at Ravana and smiled in an unperturbed manner. Ravana, who was too busy laughing crazily and being proud of his dear son, didn't notice the smile. Hanuman, however, noticed each and every detail.

The throne was made of a variety of crystals, some colourful ones, and all of them precious and expensive. It was cushioned with a seat and backrest of velvety texture, and was a harsh, deep red in colour. Somehow, Hanuman, who would otherwise have found that colour to be beautiful, only thought of it as demonic and more or less depicting bloodshed, as it was pretty common for Ravana and his people to do that, and shook his head. It was Ravana's chance today. He could possibly return Sita and continue to live his life peacefully. But if he didn't, he would never get to see the world once again.

Hanuman looked at the people who were around Ravana. There were four of them only, presently, laughing along with their King, just for the heck of it. They were like those dolls that are controlled by a key, doing exactly what their King asked for, without even using their very own brain, in case they owned one. So those four laughing maniacs, Durdhara, Mahaparshva, Prahasta and Nikumbha, who also identified themselves as the ministers of Ravana, finally stopped laughing as their King had done, and turned to Hanuman.

Hanuman studied Ravana carefully. His rather long, thick beard and mustache, his tiny little eyes, large nose, his wiggly eyebrows - they were funny and Hanuman knew that Angada, Nala and Neela would laugh their heads off when they saw it  - his annoying laughter - everything, really. Ravana was unrighteous, completely. Hanuman, truly, didn't even want to give him a chance, and wanted him to be killed. But if peace in the world could be preserved without massive damage of life and property, he would have to try the way out too.

"I am a messenger from Prabhu Shri Ram, whose wife you have abducted and kept like she's yours, O son of Vishrava." said Hanuman with all the confidence in the world, as the four so called ministers gagged strangely, and Hanuman barely controlled a little of his laughter at the reaction. How did they even have the same reaction, he wondered, rolling his eyes a little, but Ravana, because he was too busy fuming, didn't notice Hanuman's reaction again. "All he has to say is that if you return Mata Sita to him, he will forgive you. He is the most magnanimous person. He will let you live and rule. But if you don't return her to him, you will meet your end, Ravan. If he can be kind and generous, he can also show you his form of a fierce, dauntless and invincible warrior." said Hanuman, and Ravana was burning, as his dear son asked the servants who were fanning him to fan him harder, because if the King was burning, then the whole of Lanka was. The crown prince had to wait. Lanka wasn't burning yet.

"You foolish monkey!" began Ravana, roaring. Hanuman waited patiently for the hot headed King to cool down a little so that he could at least try to come up with a logical counter for Hanuman's statement. "I, the King of Lanka, will do whatever I want! What have you or that hermit Ram got to do with it?!" yelled Ravana. 

Hanuman sighed. He had just explained it all! "What has Prabhu got to do with this? Goodness, you have abducted his wife and you refuse to return her to him! Who would be concerned if not him?!" said Hanuman. "And I, being his servant, his Messenger, am here to tell you that you have a chance to save yourself, your family, your clan and your subjects. Return Mata Sita to Prabhu!" said Hanuman once again. 

"KILL HIM!" yelled Ravana, as Indrajit nodded, snarling. "KILL THIS USELESS MONKEY!"

Hanuman narrowed his eyes and his eyebrows furrowed. He decided that he could wait and watch. He needed to, perhaps, just have some patience, for sometimes, patience and silence could work in favour of one.