109. A Day Out

Rama cleared his throat. The family had met up the next morning for breakfast. "About the coronation," he began almost abashedly, cutting himself off by putting some food in his mouth. The long-lost glint in the eyes of his brothers returned after years, giving Rama the cue to continue. "-I spoke to Gurudev. He said that it'll be done in seventeen days from now." (Idk why I chose that number lol).

All his brothers practically jumped out of their seat to do a dance around the rest of the family that seemed to be taking some more time to react. The memories of the past struck Kaushalya, and they struck hard. She remembered the day her husband had told them all that they would get to witness their son's coronation the very next day. But what had happened was something she could not describe in words. She remembered how her husband, who had initially been jumping around the way three of her sons were, had later ended up on his death bed. But now was not the time for it, she realised, as she flashed a smile to try and hide the tears that had forced their way into her eyes. Rama smiled back, extending his left hand for her to hold, to feel some reassurance.

Sita didn't quite react there. She almost didn't know how to. There was a grin on her face, yes, but her smiling eyes conveyed all the happiness she felt at this announcement. There was no other way she would have to react, for all those who needed to see her happiness could see it ever so clearly.

Kaikeyi looked remorseful, still, but smiled at her son tearfully when he shook his head as though he was reprimanding her. Sumitra was undoubtedly happier than she had ever been. She had enough reasons for that. Her sons, finally, were all happy. All that the younger three had ever dreamt of was finally about to come true, and for the eldest, their happiness made him even happier. What else did a mother like her need, really, to be happy?

Shrutakeerti had joined the three brothers in their dance, and the boys had welcomed her wholeheartedly, for dance was always fun with more people (idk what I'm saying anymore - I'm too happy about the coronation news XD). First and foremost, she didn't have to pretend to be Queen any longer. That made her feel relieved. And secondly, Ram Bhaiya would actually become the Emperor of Kosala and Sita Didi the Empress! What reason did she have to contain her urge to dance?

While Mandavi was staring at Shrutakeerti like she was doing something offensive, she did feel extremely happy. She didn't know how to express it. "Mandavi!" Urmila squeaked. "What are you so sad about? They're going to be King and Queen, they're not going on another exile, dumb!" Mandavi allowed a smile that only widened. It was as if it had taken a while to sink in, because this amount of happiness had come their way after years and years of being accustomed to sorrow. Happiness felt almost new.

Urmila herself had stuffed a sweet into Sita's mouth and had begun imagining what she would look like in the Queen's apparel and everything. She wanted to see her on the throne. They would look heavenly, just like Lakshmi-Narayana. Well, they appeared that way all the time to the siblings, but this would just be too much for them to take. How beautiful they would look together!

"But I don't want you guys to work yourselves up too much before it's time for the function. You all can help in the decoration but you won't do everything. Lakshman, Bharat, Shatru, this is especially for you guys." Rama warned. Lakshmana rolled his eyes, his expression reading, "I won't listen to you this time." Rama sighed, knowing he really wouldn't be able to do anything about it. "So if breakfast is done, I-I want to tell Maa and Bharat something." When Rama's hesitation this time was not because he was rather abashed, but because he truly was hesitant caught everybody's attention.

"Yes, Bhaiya? What are you hesitating about?" Bharata asked, brows raised.

"I-I had met Pa after the war was done." he mumbled. Kaushalya looked ready to faint, when Bharata jumped. HOW did he meet Pa? They all needed an explanation. "So Mahadeva came..." Mandavi was covinced Kaushalya was not going to take this well.