36. Wrath

"Why are they behaving this way Shatru?" an unsettled Bharata asked his younger brother as they entered the city of Ayodhya. The citizens, those who otherwise welcomed their princes joyfully, were now glaring at them and muttering what the boys guessed as curses, as the chariot sailed through the thronging public.

"Something's wrong. Sarathi, please take us to the Rajbhavan as quickly as you can," said Shatrughna, his heart beating the fastest it ever had in his lifetime.

"Shatru, my dream!" said Bharata, tensely.

"Bhaiya, it was just a dream, for god's sake, don't remind yourself or me about it," scowled Shatrughna, masking his fears and worries with a slight anger.

They finally reached the Rajbhavan, and they rushed to meet everyone. On their way in there too, all the soldiers just hung their heads down upon seeing them, not in respect, but in sorrow, shame and other emotions that the princes couldn't quite place correctly. Just then, Kaikeyi appeared and whisked her son away into her room, quickly, so she could reveal her surprise gift for him. Shatrughna followed rather slowly, for he was trying to process everything - the reactions and the behaviour - in his head.

★★★

"Pranam Maa! I hope you're all fine. I was just wondering, why weren't we welcomed all grandly, as we're otherwise?" he questioned calmly upon seeing his mother's relaxed face. He just hadn't noticed that the clothes she was wearing, were plain and white. The realisation dawned upon him in just a moment, and he stumbled. But he hadn't concluded anything, he wouldn't, until it would be told to him straightforwardly.

"M-Maa, y-your-your cl-othes?"

"Yeah, putra. Swami is no more," she said, rather coldly.

Bharata was staring into her eyes, not knowing how to react. Unknowingly, but obviously, tears poured out of his eyes. He was numb, completely numb. Just then, Shatrughna entered, and as he touched his elder brother to get him out of the trance, he tried to gather everything without the need of being told.

"Bhaiya?" said Shatrughna, almost inaudibly.

His bhaiya didn't have it in him to answer. He simply leaned on Shatrughna's shoulders and wept rather helplessly. Shatrughna had, by now, figured out too. He was as numb as Bharata was earlier, and as Bharata saw his sibling in that condition, he took him in his embrace as a responsible elder brother. He was always the least important person to himself. Bharata, hugging his brother, sobbed painfully, as Shatrughna simply stared at him sorrowfully, only having a few tears trickle down. Suddenly, they heard the sharp voice of Kaikeyi, piercing them harshly.

"Oh, stop it Bharat," she said as though nothing had happened.

"Where's Ram Bhaiya? And Lakshman? I hope they're alright. And Badi Maa and Sumitra Maa? And, if I may ask you, aren't you sad?" asked Bharata, softly, expressing his sheer concern.

Shatrughna could sense it. He could sense the cheap conspiracy. But he was so vulnerable, that he couldn't speak at that point. In his mind, he just hoped nothing worse had happened, but it was just the contrary.

"Ah! Ram Bhaiya, huh?" she said cruelly, eyes narrowed, as she looked around malevolently.

"Ji," said Bharata, his innocence child-like.

"Actually, he's left for the forest," she revealed.

"What?" Bharata choked.
Shatrughna stood still and numb.

"Yeah putra. Ram, along with Lakshman and Sita, has left Ayodhya,"

"Huh?"

"Bharat, your Pitashree has left this kingdom for you to rule,"