97. The Ultimate Duel - Just The Beginning

Another one. Just before a swiftly approaching arrow could embed itself into Rama's right shoulder, he ducked just enough, just in time, as the arrow went buzzing past his ear. Nobody knew what was that fascinating in a warrior ducking to protect his own shoulder from an arrow, but everybody was watching him intently for some reason, and honestly, Rama didn't know, for he was too focussed on fighting.

So as anybody might've guessed it, nobody cared about those hundred thousand soldiers who had assembled to fight each other. In fact, even they themselves didn't! All they cared about was this duel. The duel of virtue and vice embodied in Rama and Ravana respectively. Of Dharma against Adharma in its purest form. Who would win? (Arey isiliye toh sab apna kaam dhanda chhodkar dekh rahe hain battle ko)

The mindset of each person on the battle was incredibly different. A few million monkeys and demons, what did you think, they'd have the same opinion and mindset, and that their frame of mind, coming into the battle from different scenarios, would be the same? Well, from those few millions, many were just very clueless of what emotion to feel. For if their King, Ravana, found out what they were thinking, he would probably exhibit his tyranny even over that, expecting them to feel what he felt only, not accepting a difference even in thought. He was highly capable. So, well, what did he feel? Fear? Oh yes! So now the poor demons were entitled to being scared, and all the problems had been solved in a jiffy. Just great, right?

Frankly, Ravana shouldn't have had a single reason to feel even slightly perturbed by the "mERe hUmAN" who was attacking him, for he hadn't done anything yet. The battle had barely begun. But it seemed like that smile of Rama, that smile that the entire world found charming, enchanting, he seemingly found it creepy. Probably because all things positive hurt him. That was not the point. The reason he was a little (read as very) scared, surely, was because Rama had made him take to his heels. That was obviously the reason!

Ravana shot another arrow at Rama. This time, Rama swatted it away with his bow, which, technically, was the only weapon he had to use for attack and defence. Rama didn't complain, he was perfectly fine with that. He was so skilled with just that one equipment of his that he could vanquish even the Gods with that.

Speaking of Gods, Indra and the others were very keenly watching this duel from their abode. Slightly uncomfortable, yes, to watch with their heads hung down (the battle was happening in the basement, duh!), but it was better than letting go of a chance to see the best warrior in existence, wasn't it? It was all worth all the pain in their neck (oh my goodness, what am I even saying!).

"Daasharathi should've had a chariot too!" mumbled Agni, shaking his head, as he saw Ravana having a physical advantage over the King of Ayodhya. It wasn't changing anything in the battle, but it was certainly not fair on Raghava.

"He should've had an armour too, then." said Indra shrugging. "Ravan needs it more, though," He chuckled as one of Rama's arrows pierced the demon in his chest, penetrating the armour. But then, suddenly, Indra called out to his charioteer, Matali (pronounced Mātali) and decided that he wanted to help his Lord Vishnu, not because Rama required the equipment, but because he wanted to do it. It was just devotion. "Go with my chariot to Lanka, and request Ramachandra to use it. It would be an honour if we could be of use to him." he said. Matali nodded, hands folded, before he, along with an entirely loaded chariot, loaded with all the necessary equipment, disappeared in Svarga.

"Ramachandra," began Matali, appearing in the middle of the battlefield, out of the blue, literally. Rama, however, didn't pause. He still shot his arrows just as efficiently into Ravana, and tried his best to defend himself from as many arrows as possible. "I'm Matali, the charioteer of Devendra." A number of pairs of eyes went wide in awe. Lakshmana, actually, wasn't one of those "shocked" people, as such. He had spoked with Vayu, once. But he was quite delighted to see the celestial, and folded his hands as a greeting, as Matali reciprocated. Lakshmana thought he had known Matali for longer than one minute, and maybe he did. He shrugged it off.