Chapter 19

Hell on Earth

Nostalgia. A way to exploit what Lea is feeling at the very moment she disembarked the hailed tricycle. The dusty ground that becomes mud when the rain paves the dryness from it, excruciating the vaporized water it got from body of waters. Mango trees that people fight over on who really owns the land it's standing on (typical Filipino-provincial
-family-problem vibes). Children running around; some without tops on, some without even anything to cover their nakedness.

"Thank you kuya, ito po bayad." Aga heaved out his wallet and was about to draw out some cash to pay for their owed commuting fee but the driver refused.

"Hindi na. Si Lea pala kasama mo hindi ko napansin kanina nung sumakay kayo. Ang tagal mo nang hindi nakakadalaw dito Lea? Galing ka sa Maynila? Doon ka na nakatira?" Lea struck her body to turn from her back and saw a familiar person.

"Kuya Mak! Hello! Opo, doon na po ako nakatira. Bibisita lang po kami dito." She waddled her way to him and gave him a hug: sideways. "Asawa mo?" He pointed at Aga.

"Ahh? Siya? Uhmm-" she turned to Aga, examining his facial expression to try and interpret what it says. "Kakilala ko lang siya! Gusto niya daw sumama dito kaya sinama ko!" She plastered a fake smile and peeked at Aga. Giving him an unsettling face.

"Ahhh! Medyo madami kayong dala ah? Tulungan ko na kayo. Tutuloy ba kayo sa mga tiya at tiyo?"

"Okay lang ba?" The man nodded in commendation and started unhauling baggages; untying the ropes that were holding it and departing it from the metal basket from the back of the tricycle to his back, making sure it won't get filth.

"Hep! Hep! No. let me handle that. Wait for me." Aga reprimanded Lea when she strived to lift a bag. She smeared at him in dismay and just ramped away. Aga hastily followed her lead in convey of two hand-carries in his hands.

"Ate Leaaa!!!" Two kids sprinted like a turbot race car as they spotted a significant conspicuous feature. They can't be wrong with what they are seeing. They've known her for at least forever.

Their lost energy from helping with their parents mixed with secret goofying formatted and recharged like bolted batteries. They were about to attack her with big hugs when a stranger fenced his arms in front of their beloved ate.

"Hala? Papansin?" Roasted by the girl, raising her eyebrow as if judging Aga. "Sino ka?" followed by her brother.

He pulled his hands in perturbation and said-"I'm sorry. Go on, you can hug her. Just be careful." He reminded them and backed a few steps behind Lea.

"Inglishero. Pft." The little girl scuffed at Aga with a smirk as she scanned Lea. "Buntis ka?" Her mouth was unstoppable as she delivered those words in bewilderment.

"Oo?" Lea idiomatically answered the question with a question. It was not disecrative nor was it concealable since the bump can already be presumed as a bump even with a good distance.

"Dios mio! Ano ano ginagawa mo sa buhay mo. Hala maria!" Aga's eyes widened with her expression. It was hilarious but also fretting at the same time.

For people like them who're already bosom of resonating words and tones like that to each other, it doesn't sound that bad. They're all accustomed and gregarious in a subdued place where people are informed of every circumstances that each individuals encounters. But if the child were going to a grand city like Manila or more of a higher sectoral suburban areas, she would definitely be mocked at.

"Ikaw tatay noh?" She assumed-or she'd already known that. Lea has never brought a guy friend they're not familiar with, and adding the fact that he's from where she went and that there's a hint of care for their beloved cousin. The guy has to do something with Lea.