The wide window

It was dark

It was dark. Not dark enough to not see anything, but dark enough to see the silhouette of two people in the room. The yellow light emitted an eery glow and the room was creepy enough without the photos of many people. The Baudelaires, Nadia, their parents were just a few, among the hundreds of photos on the wall. 

"This is too dangerous!" A voice hissed out, glaring daggers at the man in front of her. She had beautiful wavy blonde hair and striking blue eyes. The man signed loudly, rubbing his temples in frustration.

"I know it's complicated Grace." The man said soothingly not wanting to feel the wrath of Grace Dellarosa.

"Complicated," Grace scoffed, "It's suicide."

"I know, but I believe in my daughter's abilities, to handle it." The man said taking a drink from his glass.

"Nadia is a twelve-year-old for Christ's sake, Tom." Grace hissed.  

"I know, but in the world, we live in, there isn't an age where you can't be killed. I will not repeat the same mistakes, Beatrice and Bertrand Baudelaire made." Tom replied firmly.

Grace snorted, "By sending your daughter on a suicide mission? Don't you know how dangerous Count Olaf is?"

"More than anyone will know," Tom replied somberly. "And I trust Nadia to handle it."

"But I am still worried," Grace said anxiously biting her lip. A habit she did when she was nervous looking at a picture of Nadia smiling.

"It'll all be better," Tom said soothingly kissing the top of her head.

Grace changed her expression to a determined one, "What do I need to do?"

-------------------------------------------

"Where are you taking me, Grace?" Nadia asked looking at her in question.

"It's a surprise," Grace said her eyes twinkling with mischief. "Now come on, get in the car."

Nadia obeyed sitting in her red Toyota car, carrying some bags which were filled with clothes, and other necessities. Grace who was her father's colleague and friend, and was taking her somewhere as a sort of vacation. With her father driving, they set off on their adventure.

Nadia didn't know that this was all planned and that meeting the familiar faces wasn't a coincidence after all. When Nadia would grow up she would often chuckle at thinking about that past, and how her father seemed to trust her a lot. It would also be amusing to Nadia how her father revealed a literally tiny secret, that would change her life.

If the story of the Baudelaire orphans were a weather report, there would be hardly any sunshine to be seen.
Instead, there would be cloudbursts of unhappiness.
Blizzards of despair.
Misery in the form of sleet storms.
Various cold fronts of terror.
Horror.
Attacks of allergies.                                                                                                                                                                A little ray of light at most.